Become a More Effective Copy Editor
What you'll learn
- Use technology to edit more efficiently and effectively
- Use Microsoft Word add-ins to improve the functionality of Word
- Track time, increase productivity, and maintain focus
- Manage files safely and transmit them to clients confidentially
- Access online editing resources...
- You should already be familiar with the process of copyediting using a computer. The tips, tools, and strategies apply to both Mac and Windows. Some sections of the course presume access to Microsoft Word.
This course, “Become a More Effective Copy Editor,” provides tips and tricks for improving the quality and efficiency of editing text. It is designed for people who edit written material, either on a freelance or full-time basis. I have worked as a copy editor for more than twenty years and have completed nearly 200 book-length projects. In the process, I’ve made a lot of mistakes, tried a lot of tools, and developed a workflow that is effective, and I’d like to pass along to you some of what I’ve learned. Note, however, that the course does NOT teach you how to become a copy editor or provide information about the mechanics of editing. Instead, this course focuses on how to use available tools to do your job more effectively. While I usually work on a Mac, I’ve done my best throughout to describe comparable software on both Mac and Windows platforms. In some cases, the tools are only available on one platform, as is the case, for instance, with some of the Word add-ons, which are only available for PC. The course is divided into five units. The first looks at tips and tricks for improving your workflow in Microsoft Word. The second emphasizes strategies for improving the quality and efficiency of your editing, highlighting some software packages and other tools. The third focuses on time tracking, creating focus, and increasing productivity. The fourth identifies various tools for working with files. And the final unit looks at a variety of online resources that are available and some tricks for accessing them more quickly. Thanks for joining me; I look forward to working with you in the coming days!
Who this course is for:
- This course is designed for both new and experienced copyeditors. I hope that all who participate will find ideas for making their work as a copyeditor easier and more effective. Note that the course will not teach you to be a copyeditor.
I’m Jeremy Rehwaldt, PhD, the owner of Introspection Editing. Over the past twenty years I have copyedited more than two hundred book-length manuscripts, including scholarly journals, novels, discipline-specific monographs, high school curricula, and how-to manuals.
In addition, as a college professor at a small university in the Midwest, I have spent nearly twenty years working with undergraduate students in writing-intensive courses. My work in the nonprofit sector—as a community organizer, grantwriter, editor, and board member for organizations addressing a range of social issues—provides yet another perspective from which to approach the written word.