Be a Great Mentor: A Practical Guide to Mentorship
- 1 hour on-demand video
- 7 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Get clarity on the value you bring as a mentor
- Identify and select your ideal mentee
- Build your mentoring skills
- Overcome common obstacles to mentoring relationships
- Great mentoring happens at all levels of the organization. So whether you’re just starting out and want to peer mentor, or have extensive business experience and want to give back, after completing this course, you should feel confident that you can make a difference as a GREAT Mentor.
- There are no prerequisites for this course, though several years of working experience is recommended.
Do you want to accelerate your career growth? Get a raise or promotion? Consider becoming a mentor. Research shows mentors receive promotions and are more likely to earn raises. A study by the Association of Talent Development (2017) found that 75% of executives believe mentoring was key to their success, and 75% of millennial employees surveyed expected their manager to mentor them. Being a mentor gives you additional opportunities to practice your leadership, grow your communication skills and hone your emotional intelligence. If you're at the peak of your career, mentoring is a great way to continue to expand your network and build a legacy. Becoming a great mentor is good for you, your mentee, and your organization.
This course will help you prepare to be a Great Mentor. You will learn how to:
Get clarity on the value you bring as a mentor
Identify and select your ideal mentee
Build your mentoring skills
Overcome common obstacles to mentoring relationships
This course includes many resources to help you build your skills: worksheet exercises to download and complete, interactive assignments, and checklist tools you can download and share with your mentee. You'll create a Mentor Inventory to gain clarity on the expertise you have to offer, prepare your personalized "match" questions, and complete a Mentoring Engagement Worksheet with your mentee to get your relationship off to a strong start. You'll gain insight on how to overcome 7 common obstacles that may occur in mentoring relationships, including my tips on mentoring in the age of #MeToo. Throughout the course you'll be able to test your understanding with interactive assignments.
Mentors provided key insight at critical turning points in my 30 year career in the technology industry. In this course, I share my personal experiences and stories of great mentors, along with some cautionary tales.
Great mentoring happens at all levels of the organization, so whether you’re just starting out and want to peer mentor, or have extensive business experience and want to give back, get started with this course and become confident that you can make a difference as a GREAT Mentor.
- Managers who need skills to guide their employees
- Subject matter experts who want to mentor junior professionals
- Leaders who want to give back by helping the next generation navigate successful careers
- Peers who want to support their colleagues' success through peer mentoring
- Skilled junior employees who want to share their perspective up the leadership chain through reverse mentoring
- This course is not for those who want to learn how to get a mentor. It is for professionals who want to BE mentors.