Basics of Electricity
What you'll learn
- Calculate circuits
- Explain the interaction of amps, volts, and resistance
- Explain the interaction of volts, amps, and watts
- Understand basic safety concerns of electrical circuits
- Use of a multimeter to test circuits
- Compare parallel and series circuits
- Compare direct and alternating currents
- Calculate the cost of operating electrical components
- Use of a calculator, possesion of a multimeter
In order to understand, make or repair anything electrical from house wiring, automotive wiring, small electronic kits, electric motors etc. a basic understanding of electricity is needed.
This course will explain the basic principles of electricity along with how to test and apply them.
The course is intended as an introductory course for those who would like to be able to dabble in electronics and electricity. It is not intended to make you a proficient electrician. Remember electricity can be dangerous and have lasting consequences.
The course will consist of video clips/lectures. Images, charts, and brief reading as supplemental information. Quizzes are available for self assessment and practice of the information.
Who this course is for:
- The course is intended for those who want to dabble in electronic kits
- If you aren't afraid of electricity, but don't really undestand it.
- Increase confidence in testing simple electrical circuits and appliances
- IT IS NOT to teach you how to make complicated electrical systems
- IT IS NOT intended to teach you how to wire anything
- IT IS NOT going to make you an electrician
With a lifelong passion for agriculture and teaching others I look forward to being your instructor.
My knowledge and experience will be put to work for you. My educational experience began with a BS in Agriculture Education from Washington State University (minors in Ag Technology Management and Agriculture Economics.) I then continued with a Masters Degree from Iowa State University (Professional in Agriculture) and over 14 years experience as a High School Agriculture Instructor (courses in Plant Science, Animal Science, Welding, Construction, Ag Mechanics, Horticulture, Ag Business.)
My experience includes operating my own farm in which I raise hay, small grains (wheat and barley), cattle and hogs. I also sell firewood and operate an internet business (Miller's Woodcutting) that provides plans for the construction of firewood related machinery (log splitters, firewood processors, skidding arches, etc.)