Basic Principles of Drawing People from Imagination
What you'll learn
- Learn how to translate people and places from your mind into lively scenes on a page
- Illustrate detailed scenes filled with realistic characters using just a pencil and your imagination
- Learn step-by-step how to draw realistic human figures in action
- Learn what form is and how to use it in your drawing
- Find out how to use basic folds to add realistic clothing to your figures
- Learn how to set up your scene and how your figures fit within it
- Add muscle and contour to your figures to make them look like real people
- Create a more realistic background by adding layers and lighting to your setting
- You will need a pencil and paper or an iPad.
- No previous experience is necessary.
Illustrate detailed scenes filled with realistic characters using just a pencil and your imagination. Drawing instructor and storyboard artist Tom Fox has over ten years of experience in the animation industry and has worked for studios such as Universal Studios, Axis Animation, and The BBC.
In this course, he shares his expertise in reducing complex subjects like anatomy and perspective into manageable stages. Learn step-by-step how to draw realistic human figures in action and bring any scene from your imagination to life.
Get to know your teacher, Tom Fox. Discover what motivated him to start drawing and how he turned his hobby into a career. He shares the artists who have inspired him and the different ways in which they have influenced his work.
Learn what form is and how to use it in your drawing. Tom introduces the two questions which you’ll use as a guide throughout the course to create realistic 3D mannequins. Then he takes you step-by-step through the process involved in drawing a box mannequin and transforming it into a more advanced illustration using the human anatomy, silhouettes, and contour lines. Find out how to use basic folds to add realistic clothing to your figures.
Use the techniques learned so far to practice drawing people from your imagination. Begin by positioning your mannequins. Learn how to set up your scene and how your figures fit within it. Then add muscle and contour to your figures to make them look like real people. Dress them using your knowledge of folds, then learn how to create realistic-looking hands and heads.
Finally, it’s time to add depth and realism to your scene. Create a more realistic background by adding layers and lighting to your setting. Add the finishing touches to your drawing using a combination of hard and soft edges to suggest form.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone with an interest in drawing people and places can take part in this course.
Tom Fox is a figure drawing instructor and storyboard artist who has worked in the animation industry for more than ten years. He studied zoology at university but, frustrated by the lack of practical skills involved, decided to take up drawing alongside his studies. He spent the next five years honing his craft through short courses and online resources and has worked for Universal Studios, Aardman Animations, The BBC, and Axis Animation.
As well as working as a professional storyboard artist, Tom focuses on reducing complex subjects like perspective and anatomy into an easy-to-follow process for teaching online.