Basic Neuroscience of Addiction and Recovery
What you'll learn
- Understand the basic understanding of addiction and recovery
- Learn about the cycle of addiction that perpetuates dependency and relapses
- Understand the key neurotransmitters implicated in addiction and recovery
- Learn about the root-causes of addictions
- Understand the links between addictions, attachment and trauma
- Learn about the three key brain systems implicated in addiction and its recovery
- Understand the links between addiction, dissociation, depression and anxiety
- Common mistakes to avoid when working with clients with addiction
- Important tips that individuals with addiction should be aware of to facilitate recovery
- Helpful recovery tips for family members of individuals with addiction
- Everyone interested in the subject is welcome.
Suitable for individuals with addictions (substance or behavioural-related addictions), social workers, students, interested individuals, therapists & other professionals who are interested in deeper understanding of the addicted brain and ways to bring about gradual recovery.
What Attendees Are Saying:
This course gave me a real initial insight into the effects that early trauma can have upon the brain, affecting an individual’s capacity to cope and ultimately be susceptible and ‘drawn’ towards addictive behaviours. This knowledge will have a real positive effect on my practice. It was both fascinating and informative and I will definitely recommend the course to other professionals and individuals. Jackie C, Psychotherapist
Well presented, emphasis on compassionate approach whilst describing science. It’s hard to present complex neuropathology and incorporate the psychological elements. I would highly recommend this course, really good content and value for money. Karen D., Advanced Clinical Practitioner.
I liked the presenter’s manner, very knowledgeable but also very approachable. I will be sharing key points with my team who work in gambling education. Christina D., Project Development Officer, Scottish Gambling Education Hub
I found it really interesting and educational. I am a Family Recovery coach and work with the loved ones of addicts. I nurture them to prioritise their self-care by creating bespoke copying strategies as well as learning about addiction and how to support the addicted loved one in the right way. The families become addicted to the addicts’ emotions and behaviours without realising it, so the models you went through today also relate to the recovery journey of the Families. It's virtually a mirror image. Linda E.
Thank you so much for today’s course, I found it really informative and it has helped me to reconnect to the need for compassion, understanding and support in working with traumatised and abused clients. It has also allowed me some much needed self compassion. Fiona S.
Who this course is for:
- Individuals with addiction issues, professionals working with people with addictions and family members who want to understand the neurobiology of addiction better.
Wale Oladipo is the lead trainer, psychotherapist and director of MindBody Breakthrough Ltd, a mental health organisation that specialises in public mental health and professional development. Specialising in anxiety-related disorders, Wale has a proven track record in delivering cutting edge recovery models and solutions that are effective and easy to apply.
Wale has trained and worked with educational institutions, local councils, NGOs and training providers. His recovery models such as the FEAR model, STRESS model and WORRY model are now being used in more than thirty different countries around the world by professionals, organisations and sufferers.
Wale is the author and creator of various well-being and success materials, courses and online recovery programmes which include: Overcoming Chronic Stress and Stress-Induced Pains MindBody Breakthrough Programme; Overcoming Intrusive Thoughts and the Inner Critical Voice Online Recovery Programme; Overcoming GAD and Panic Disorder Online Course; The Millionaire Within; Four Master Keys for Happiness and Success for TEENS; The Worry Instinct; Healing Trauma; Healing Complex PTSD.
Wale is a psychology writer and professional member of the National Counselling Society and The European Mentoring and Coaching Council.