Basic Investing Concepts
This is an introductory course on basic investing concepts. Learn about the following investing concepts:
- Investment objectives
- Risk-return trade-off
- Investment strategies
- What you need to know before investing
- Understanding your investment objectives
- Understanding your investment horizon
- Life Stages of an individual
- Market risk vs specific risk
- Return on investment
- Portfolio Diversification
- Asset Allocation
- Market Timing
- Constraints on Investment Strategies
- working adults
- Introduction and Objectives01:57
- MoneySENSE Core Financial Capabilities Framework01:39
- Why Do We Invest?03:15
- Investment Objectives08:07
- Siva explains about investment objectives08:22
- Risk and Return09:27
- Risk Tolerance01:51
- Diversification and Asset Allocation06:13
- Asset Allocation Factors03:10
- Dollar Cost Averaging, Market Timing and Constraints04:18
- The Cautious Investor5 questions
- Additional Resources01:32
The Institute for Financial Literacy is a collaboration between MoneySense and Singapore Polytechnic Enterprise.
Our financial education courses cover basic money management, financial planning and investment know-how.
Peggy Chan, Financial Literacy Trainer, Institute for Financial Literacy
Peggy has 8 years of experience in the financial services industry, helping clients understand their financial needs, objectives and risk tolerance as well as reviewing company policies and procedures to ensure compliance. She was also an adjunct lecturer with a Polytechnic, teaching insurance and retirement planning subjects.
Prior to joining the financial services sector, Peggy was working in the information technology sector for 13 years, first in a government agency and subsequently served as a Senior Systems Analyst in an international bank.
She is a Certified Financial Planner, which is a professional certification specific to retirement planning and wealth accumulation in addition to overall financial planning.
Peggy has a Masters of Science, majoring in Network Management. She also holds other industry certification in M5, M8, M8A, M9 and HI.