Basic Governance for Board Members
What you'll learn
- Stay out of trouble as a board member. They will understand the purpose of governance, including the duties of board members, what could go wrong and what they should know about the organization
- You will not need any previous experience with being a board member or know anything about governance. All materials needed are included in the course itself.
This course is for people who serve (or are considering serving) on a board as a director or board member. The focus of this course is make sure you stay out of trouble by knowing your rights, obligations and duties as a board member.
Become a More Effective and Knowledgeable Board Member with this Comprehensive Course
- Learn the basics of what governance is
- Find out who stakeholders are and why they are important
- Recognize your rights as a board member or director
- Discover the actions that make you liable
- Learn my: Board Decision Making Framework (ADAPPT)
- Find out how you can stay out of trouble
Board Members Need to Understand Governance to do their job correctly
This course covers the most important issues that come with serving on a board, whether corporate, non-profit or as a volunteer. In my 20+ years of speaking professionally on governance to a variety of boards, I continue to see examples of what not to do. With this course I want to give you the necessary information to not make mistakes and not get in trouble. Important things like a members' legal responsibilities is not common knowledge to most. You may do something completely ordinary and not realize you are violating your duty as a board member. For example, a 'parking lot meeting.'
This course covers every major topic you need to practice good governance. The course is comprised of 11 lectures divided into 3 sections. At the end of each section is a quiz that will help you retain the information you just learned.
Each lecture contains a video of me talking and many lectures have slides accompanying the material. Learning resources for the course are a workbook (PDF) and Part 1 of my book (PDF), Basic Board Governance, which this course is based on.
When you have finished this course, you will be a better board member and understand what it will take to stay out of trouble.
Who this course is for:
- This course is for anyone who serves or who is considering serving as a director or board member of a corporation, society or charity.
Debi J. Peverill is a unique individual: a Chartered Accountant with a sense of humor. She enjoys helping business owners and managers avoid making financial mistakes, and protecting them from the government and banks. To this end she has written a series of easy-to-read financial books and spends time sharing her wisdom and insights by speaking to groups of business owners and managers.
Debi has founded three business including a public accounting firm, Peverill & Associates , in 1988 after spending ten years with national accounting firms. In 1998, she founded SBR Communications Inc., the vehicle for her speaking and publishing interests. In 2013, Painless Financial Training Group Inc. was created to offer people financial information they need to know to stay out of trouble and make more money.
She is an accomplished trainer. Debi teaches financial management courses in the Executive and Professional Development program, the Diploma in Management program, and the Executive Masters of Business Administration program at Saint Mary's University in Halifax, NS.