Basic English Writing
What you'll learn
- Write in English with confidence.
- Understand and use English skills more effectively.
- Improve spoken English by knowing proper terms and structures of language.
- Identify basic parts of speech - helpful for English courses and for improving overall writing skills.
- Write quality sentences.
- Write excellent paragraphs with unity and coherence - useful for all English writing including essays, book reports, workplace writing.
- Students require a minimum low-intermediate level of English in order to understand the instructor and follow the slide commentary. A student's writing skills may be quite poor at the beginning, however, as long as he/she can understand verbal English.
* Bonus material added
New video added - Move the Subject - October 2021
Some student comments:
"It is very good and detailed."
"This has served as an excellent refresher course. This has given me confidence to write better and improve on my language skills. Thank you!"
"This is a very important course for those who intend to improve your writing skills."
This course is for anyone who wishes to improve his/her English writing skills. All the basics are included in three short, easy to handle lessons. This is an excellent course for those people who wish to improve their writing skills for school, in the workplace, or for their own personal growth and learning.
Added benefits include the fact that improved writing skills lead to improved speaking skills as well. Students include those from English speaking backgrounds who wish to improve their writing skills - young learners to adult and ESL or EFL students who wish to make gains in written English and become more familiar with the English language.
For students with English as their first language the goals would be to remind them of basics and improve their technical writing skills before moving into more complex writing materials.
For ESL and EFL students, the primary goals are to gain insight into the structure of writing in English and to build confidence.
NOTE: There are no writing assignments for this course.
Parts of Speech
nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, prepositions, conjunctions, interjections
subject & predicate
phrases & clauses
dependent & independent clauses
four kinds of sentences by form
four kinds of sentences by purpose
how to avoid sentence fragments and run-on sentence errors
New video added January 2017 - Independent & Dependent Clauses.
defining a paragraph
four kinds of paragraphs with a focus on central paragraphs
unity - why it is necessary and how your topic sentence guides you
coherence - what it is and how to achieve it in your writing
Who this course is for:
- This course is meant for students who wish to improve the quality of their writing in English. The course acts as both an introduction to quality English writing and a refresher course for those who need to remind themselves of the foundation to English writing. This course is not intended for those who have excellent writing skills already.
I have owned and operated L.T.L. Tutoring Central since 1996, providing private tutoring services to students of all ages and skill levels.
My online courses have received many compliments and positive testimonials as well.
I have presented video lessons for various organizations and groups and taught individual lessons to students from around the world - often setting up programs specific to their needs.
Also, I created and delivered an ESL/EFL program for scientists and technicians at the Guelph division of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada.
My primary focus is on English, math, and study skills- helping students learn how to learn.
I am an Honours Bachelor of Arts graduate with distinction from the University of Guelph in English/psychology - completing 62 courses, many in the field of education including philosophy of education and psychology of education.