Basic English Writing
- 3 hours on-demand video
- 2 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Write in English with confidence.
- Understand and use English skills more effectively.
- Improve spoken English by knowing proper terms and structures of language.
- Identify basic parts of speech - helpful for English courses and for improving overall writing skills.
- Write quality sentences.
- Write excellent paragraphs with unity and coherence - useful for all English writing including essays, book reports, workplace writing, and creative writing as well.
- Students require a minimum low-intermediate level of English in order to understand the instructor and follow the slide commentary. A student's writing skills may be quite poor at the beginning, however, as long as he/she can understand verbal English.
* New video - sentence fragments added April 2018.
*New video - run-on sentences added March 2018.
*New Lecture/video added June 2017 - IELTS, TOEFL, and other English Language Tests practice ideas (1).
*New videos added April 2017 - Four uses of commas and The Semicolon.
*New Bonus material added March 2017 - Spelling Improvement video & downloadable document with spelling rules.
*New video added January 27, 2017
This course is for anyone who wishes to improve his/her English writing skills. All the basics are included in three short, easy to handle lessons. This is an excellent course for those people who wish to improve their writing skills for school, in the workplace, or for their own personal growth and learning.
Added benefits include the fact that improved writing skills lead to improved speaking skills as well. Students include those from English speaking backgrounds who wish to improve their writing skills - young learners to adult and ESL or EFL students who wish to make gains in written English and become more familiar with the English language.
For students with English as their first language the goals would be to remind them of basics and improve their technical writing skills before moving into more complex writing materials.
For ESL and EFL students, the primary goals are to gain insight into the structure of writing in English and to build confidence.
Parts of Speech
- nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, prepositions, conjunctions, interjections
- subject & predicate
- phrases & clauses
- dependent & independent clauses
- four kinds of sentences by form
- four kinds of sentences by purpose
- how to avoid sentence fragments and run-on sentence errors
- New video added January 2017 - Independent & Dependent Clauses.
- defining a paragraph
- four kinds of paragraphs with a focus on central paragraphs
- topic sentences
- unity - why it is necessary and how your topic sentence guides you
- coherence - what it is and how to achieve it in your writing
- This course is meant for students who wish to improve the quality of their writing in English. The course acts as both an introduction to quality English writing and a refresher course for those who need to remind themselves of the foundation to English writing. This course is not intended for those who have excellent writing skills already.
You will more easily be able to identify and use the various terms for parts of speech in English. This will aid you in writing quality sentences.
Here is a bonus video about independent and dependent clauses.