Basic Electrical Engineering
What you'll learn
- Explain different concepts in D.C., A.C. and magnetic circuits to solve numerical problems
- Explain the working and construction of single phase and three phase transformer
- Explain the working, construction and characteristics of Electrical Motors
- Explain working of basic Power Electronics converters
- Explain different types of wires, cables, switch gears and relays
- Basic knowledge of physics and mathematics.
The course on Basic Electrical Engineering is offered almost in all universities at the first-year level for all Engineering branches. Topics such as DC Circuits, Single-phase and three-phase AC Circuits, Magnetic Circuits, Single-phase and three-phase transformers, AC and DC Machines, Power converters, wires cables, MCB, MCCB, SFU, etc. are generally included in the course. This course focuses on different concepts presented in the topics mentioned above along with numerical questions. Moreover, all lectures are explained with simple clear and language using colored diagrams.
After taking this course, the learners should be able to,
1) Explain different theorems used to solve Electrical Engineering circuits.
2) Solve Electrical Engineering circuits to find out current in a specific branch of an electrical circuit.
3) Explain the working of elementary AC generator which generates AC voltage.
4) Explain different terms used to define AC quantities.
5) Solve single-phase AC circuits consisting of resistance, inductance, and capacitance.
6) Explain the concept of MMF, reluctance, magnetic field intensity, permeability, magnetic fringing etc.
7) Solve series and parallel magnetic circuits.
8) Explain construction and working of single phase, three phase and auto-transformer.
9) Compute efficiency and regulation of transformer.
10) Explain construction and working of DC motors, single phase and three phase Induction Motors.
11) Plot the characteristics of Electrical motors.
12) Classify Electrical motors.
13) Explain working of diode rectifier, inverters and DC-DC converters.
14) Explain working of switch fuse unit, MCB, MCCB, ELCB.
15) Explain concept of earthing.
This course serves as a foundation to learn advanced courses in basic electrical engineering.
Who this course is for:
- First year Engineering students of all branches.
Atharva is with the Government College of Engineering Pune, India. Apart from developing courses in the field of Electrical Engineering, I have been associated with developing courses in the field of programming (python, Machine learning using python) and simulation studies. I have been also working in developing courses in the field of Optimization for Engineers.
Dr. H. T. Jadhav is an alumnus of the National Institute of Technology, Surat, Gujarat, and holds a Ph.D. degree in Power Engineering. He has been working as a Professor in an Engineering institute for the last 26 years. He has taught courses like MATLAB for Engineers, Basic Electrical and Mechanical Engineering, Computer Programing, Energy Auditing of Thermal utilities, Optimization Techniques for solving Engineering Problems. He has guided several undergraduates, Postgraduate, and Ph.D. students in the field of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering. He has published many research papers in reputed international journals.