Batting Location Charts with Vagrant and MySQL
- install MySQL on a Ubuntu machine.
- perform basic administrative tasks in MySQL.
- use the vi program to edit the MySQL configuration file.
- perform port-forwarding with Vagrant.
- scrape hit location data from PITCHf/x.
- query MySQL from R.
- Students should have R and RStudio installed.
- Students should also have VirtualBox and Vagrant installed.
- It would be best if students have gone through my previous three courses in baseball analytics. This may not, however, be completely necessary.
This course is about working with large sets of PITCHf/x data to create batting location charts. We use R to scrape and visualize the data and MySQL to store the data. The course includes lessons on how to install a virtual Ubuntu machine, how to install MySQL, how to perform basic MySQL administrative tasks, and how to connect R and MySQL.
It would be best if you have some knowledge of R and ggplot. This can be obtained through my previous three courses in baseball analytics. However, it might be possible to follow along without this.
At a relaxed pace, the course should take about two weeks to complete.
- This course is for those who want to learn how to create a hit location chart from PITCHf/x data.
- The course is also for those who wish to know a little about working with R and MySQL together.
- The course is NOT for complete beginners in R.