What you'll learn
- You will learn about observing the Moon, Planets, Star Clusters, Nebula and even A galaxy you can see with the naked eye.
- Learn why the stars appear to move as they do
- Understand the celestial coordinate system, The Plane of the ecliptic and the Meridian
- learn how to use a basic star chart
- Tour the Night Sky as it appears in each of the four seasons
- Discover the different types of binoculars and telescopes available to enhance your observing experience
- The 10 things you MUST KNOW before buying a telescope
- Explore How your eye perceives light and Color, how your pupils dilate and become Dark Adapted
- There are no strict requirements for this course other than a love of learning and exploration
- A computer printer is a nice to have, to be able to print handouts and Star Charts
In this Course I will give you an overview of what you can see from your backyard or favorite observing site with your naked eye, a good pair of binoculars, or a small telescope. As you will soon see, there’s a lot more up there than just stars…
This course includes 23 Video lectures and several handouts designed to introduce you to the hobby of Backyard Astronomy.
The Course is delivered in to 9 easy to digest sections, to fit in to your busy schedule
We will start with a quick tour of what you can see in the night sky:
Including the Moon & Planets, Stars & Star Clusters, Nebulae and Galaxies.
Next you will look at the Celestial Sphere, learn how the sky moves and how to navigate the heavens.
Once you get your celestial bearings, you will learn to read a star chart and install a free planetarium program to help you simulate the night sky for any time of year.
Using your free planetarium software you will tour the Heavens in all four seasons, in both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres.
After you have a basic understanding of the Night Sky you will look at how to improve your observing pleasure with binoculars and small telescopes. You will learn the basic types of instruments , how they work, and what you need to know before buying a telescope or binoculars.
If you are curious about the Night Sky and want to learn more, this is a great introductory course to get you out and observing in the shortest possible time with the maximum enjoyment.
Who this course is for:
- This Course is for anyone who would like to learn more about backyard Astronomy and stargazing
- The lessons are easy to understand and accessible to any age group
I am a Full Time Cruiser and Entrepreneur. Living and working from my boat "the Gypsy Soul"
In my former life I was an IT Manager & computer geek for the last 25 years. When the economy went south, so did I. I decided to chuck the old life, move aboard my boat and start doing my own thing. I currently run several Blogs and Websites on a variety of topics. I'm most interested in teaching others how to make the leap and escape the 9-5 grind, and live their dreams.
I've been cruising full time now for just over a year and I've learnd many things. the chief among these is:
The secret to happiness in life is:
Growth and contribution
Learn & Grow, Teach & Contribute