Background to Beekeeping: Start with Why!
What you'll learn
- Explain the surprising multiple benefits of beekeeping
- Explain the history and current status of world bees and beekeeping
- Explain the broad approaches to beekeeping
- Encourage you to make your beekeeping unique to your particular skills and interests
- Give an overview of world production and trade in honey
- Decide if beekeeping is something you want to start
- Give the first key step on your journey to becoming a successful beekeeper
- You need to be able to use a computer at beginner level to view the course content
- No beekeeping experience necessary - just your interest in bees and beekeeping!
Take this course as one of your first courses in beekeeping and it will set you on the right path in beekeeping for years to come. Beekeeping has very many benefits/potential benefits. Established beekeepers may not even be aware of all the benefits they, their family and community are getting from their beekeeping hobby or enterprise. This course will give you an excellent overview of the history and current state of bees and beekeeping around the world, the honey trade, why you should get into beekeeping, how you can benefit personally from beekeeping and how your local community and the planet will thank you as well. The course will give you the WHY of beekeeping which is essential before you get lost in the detail of the HOW.
Remember reasons always come first and once you understand why you should start beekeeping you will always figure out the how. Having a thorough understanding of the WHY of beekeeping is absolutely essential to your success as a beekeeper. The course ends by giving you a key step on the road to learning the HOW of beekeeping appropriate to where you live in the world.
The course will also help you to decide how you want to approach beekeeping in your particular context and how you might bring your own unique skills and interests to beekeeping to make it your very own. This big picture view of beekeeping is really important because it is so easy to get lost in detail which might or might not be appropriate to where you live (just try searching for beekeeping videos on YouTube and you will find so many videos it is hard to know which ones are useful or appropriate!).
In developing this course I draw on a lifetime of beekeeping experience in Ireland and in Africa.
In addition to other resources and links included with the course there are two free downloadable beekeeping books (PDF format) written by the course creator for your further reference.
The course has been revised and updated for 2021/2022.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone interested in beekeeping for beginners
- Anyone interested in learning about bees and bee keeping
- Anyone interested in having a better understanding of the beekeeping industry & honey trade
- Anyone interested in understanding the benefits of bees and beekeeping
- Anyone interested in starting a small scale beekeeping enterprise
- Anyone wondering if beekeeping is a good hobby to start
- Existing beekeepers who want to broaden their understanding of beekeeping
My expertise lies in a variety of areas including futures thinking, the future of work and future skills for the 4th Industrial Revolution. I am also passionate about the environment and beekeeping (a life-long passion!).
I hold a Bachelors degree in Agricultural Science from University College Dublin, an MSc in Entrepreneurship (Stirling, University, UK), an MSc in Environmental Science (UCD) and a PhD in Rural Development (UCD).
I am an avid life-long learner which is essential for all of us in today's fast changing world.
I bring my varied background and experiences into all my courses on Udemy which I hope brings a fresh and enjoyable perspective to everything that I teach.
Thank you and I look forward to seeing you on one of my courses.