Backend Master Class [Golang + Postgres + Kubernetes + gRPC]
What you'll learn
- Design database schema using DBML and automatically generate SQL code from it
- Deeply understand the DB isolation levels, transactions and how to avoid deadlock
- Automatically generate Golang code to interact with the database
- Develop a RESTful backend web service using the Gin framework
- Secure the APIs with user authentication, JWT and PASETO
- Write stronger test set with high coverage using interfaces and mocking
- Build a minimal Docker image for deployment and use Docker-compose for development
- Set up Github Action to automatically build and deploy the app to AWS Kubernetes cluster
- Register a domain and config Kubernetes ingress to route traffic to the web service
- Enable automatic issue & renew TLS certificate for the domain with Let's Encrypt
- Only basic programming skill is needed.
In this course, you will learn step-by-step how to design, develop and deploy a backend web service from scratch. I believe the best way to learn programming is to build a real application. Therefore, throughout the course, you will learn how to build a backend web service for a simple bank. It will provide APIs for the frontend to do the following things:
Create and manage bank accounts.
Record all balance changes to each of the accounts.
Perform a money transfer between 2 accounts.
The programming language we will use to develop the service is Golang, but the course is not just about coding in Go. The course is divided into 4 main parts:
In the first part, you will learn deeply about how to design the database, generate codes to talk to the DB in a consistent and reliable way using transactions, understand the DB isolation levels, and how to use it correctly in production. Besides the database, you will also learn how to use docker for local development, how to use Git to manage your codes, and how to use Github Action to run unit tests automatically.
In the second part, you will learn how to build a set of RESTful HTTP APIs using Gin - one of the most popular Golang frameworks for building web services. This includes everything from loading app configs, mocking DB for more robust unit tests, handling errors, authenticating users, and securing the APIs with JWT and PASETO access tokens.
In the third part, you will learn how to build your app with Docker and deploy it to a production Kubernetes cluster on AWS. The lectures are very detailed with a step-by-step guide, from how to build a minimal docker image, set up a free-tier AWS account, create a production database, store and retrieve production secrets, create a Kubernetes cluster with EKS, use Github Action to automatically build and deploy the image to the EKS cluster, buy a domain name and route the traffics to the service, secure the connection with HTTPs and auto-renew TLS certificate from Let's Encrypt.
The last part is a work-in-progress, where we discuss more advanced backend topics such as managing user sessions, building gRPC APIs, using gRPC gateway to serve both gRPC and HTTP with 1 single implementation of the handler, and embedding Swagger documentation as part of the backend service, etc. We will keep making and uploading new videos, so please come back here to check them out from time to time.
This course is designed with a lot of details, so that everyone, even with very little programming experience can understand and do it by themselves. I strongly believe that after the course, you would be able to work much more confidently and effectively on your projects.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who wants to learn about backend web service development using Golang, Postgres, Docker & Kubernetes
- The course is designed so that even a beginner with very basic programming skills can understand
- But I'm sure even developers with more experienced (intermediate level) can still learn something new
At Tech School, we believe that everyone deserves a good and free education. The purpose of Tech School is to give everyone a chance to learn IT by giving free, high-quality tutorials and coding courses. The topics are wide-ranging, and suitable for many different levels of tech knowledge: from noob to pro.
The most important thing is: all content created by Tech School is free and will always be free. You can access them for free on our Youtube channel.
The courses are also published here on Udemy. So if you like the lectures and want to support us to create more valuable content for the community, please purchase the courses, give us some reviews, and spread the words to your friends and colleagues so that more people will have a chance to learn for free.