Azure Databricks & Spark Core For Data Engineers(Python/SQL)
What you'll learn
- You will learn how to build a real world data project using Azure Databricks and Spark Core. This course has been taught using real world data from Formula1 motor racing
- You will acquire professional level data engineering skills in Azure Databricks, Delta Lake, Spark Core, Azure Data Lake Gen2 and Azure Data Factory (ADF)
- You will learn how to create notebooks, dashboards, clusters, cluster pools and jobs in Azure Databricks
- You will learn how to ingest and transform data using PySpark in Azure Databricks
- You will learn how to transform and analyse data using Spark SQL in Azure Databricks
- You will learn about Data Lake architecture and Lakehouse architecture. Also, you will learn how to implement a solution for Lakehouse architecture using Delta Lake.
- You will learn how to create Azure Data Factory pipelines to execute Databricks notebooks
- You will learn how to create Azure Data Factory triggers to schedule pipelines as well as monitor them.
- You will gain the skills required around Azure Databricks and Data Factory to pass the Azure Data Engineer Associate certification exam DP203, but the primary objective of the course is not to teach you to pass the exams.
- You will learn how to connect to Azure Databricks from PowerBI to create reports
- All the code and step-by-step instructions are provided, but the skills below will greatly benefit your journey
- Basic Python programming experience will be required
- Basic SQL knowledge will be required
- Knowledge of cloud fundamentals will be beneficial, but not necessary
- Azure subscription will be required, If you don't have one we will create a free account in the course
Major updates to the course since the launch
December 2022 - Sections 3, 4 & 5 updated to reflect recent UI changes to Azure Databricks. Also included lessons on additional functionality included by Databricks recently to Databricks clusters. .
I am looking forward to helping you with learning one of the in-demand data engineering tools in the cloud, Azure Databricks! This course has been taught with implementing a data engineering solution using Azure Databricks and Spark core for a real world project of analysing and reporting on Formula1 motor racing data.
This is like no other course in Udemy for Azure Databricks. Once you have completed the course including all the assignments, I strongly believe that you will be in a position to start a real world data engineering project on your own and also proficient on Azure Databricks. I have also included lessons on Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2, Azure Data Factory as well as PowerBI. The primary focus of the course is Azure Databricks and Spark core, but it also covers the relevant concepts and connectivity to the other technologies mentioned. Please note that the course doesn't cover other aspects of Spark such as Spark streaming and Spark ML. Also the course has been taught using PySpark as well as Spark SQL; It doesn't cover Scala or Java.
The course follows a logical progression of a real world project implementation with technical concepts being explained and the Databricks notebooks being built at the same time. Even though this course is not specifically designed to teach you the skills required for passing the Azure Data Engineer Associate Certification Exam DP203, it can greatly help you get most of the necessary skills required for the exam.
I value your time as much as I do mine. So, I have designed this course to be fast-paced and to the point. Also, the course has been taught with simple English and no jargons. I start the course from basics and by the end of the course you will be proficient in the technologies used.
Currently the course teaches you the following
Building a solution architecture for a data engineering solution using Azure Databricks, Azure Data Lake Gen2, Azure Data Factory and Power BI
Creating and using Azure Databricks service and the architecture of Databricks within Azure
Working with Databricks notebooks as well as using Databricks utilities, magic commands etc
Passing parameters between notebooks as well as creating notebook workflows
Creating, configuring and monitoring Databricks clusters, cluster pools and jobs
Mounting Azure Storage in Databricks using secrets stored in Azure Key Vault
Working with Databricks Tables, Databricks File System (DBFS) etc
Using Delta Lake to implement a solution using Lakehouse architecture
Creating dashboards to visualise the outputs
Connecting to the Azure Databricks tables from PowerBI
Spark (Only PySpark and SQL)
Spark architecture, Data Sources API and Dataframe API
PySpark - Ingestion of CSV, simple and complex JSON files into the data lake as parquet files/ tables.
PySpark - Transformations such as Filter, Join, Simple Aggregations, GroupBy, Window functions etc.
PySpark - Creating local and temporary views
Spark SQL - Creating databases, tables and views
Spark SQL - Transformations such as Filter, Join, Simple Aggregations, GroupBy, Window functions etc.
Spark SQL - Creating local and temporary views
Implementing full refresh and incremental load patterns using partitions
Emergence of Data Lakehouse architecture and the role of delta lake.
Read, Write, Update, Delete and Merge to delta lake using both PySpark as well as SQL
History, Time Travel and Vacuum
Converting Parquet files to Delta files
Implementing incremental load pattern using delta lake
Azure Data Factory
Creating pipelines to execute Databricks notebooks
Designing robust pipelines to deal with unexpected scenarios such as missing files
Creating dependencies between activities as well as pipelines
Scheduling the pipelines using data factory triggers to execute at regular intervals
Monitor the triggers/ pipelines to check for errors/ outputs.
Who this course is for:
- University students looking for a career in Data Engineering
- IT developers working on other disciplines trying to move to Data Engineering
- Data Engineers/ Data Warehouse Developers currently working on on-premises technologies, or other cloud platforms such as AWS or GCP who want to learn Azure Data Technologies
- Data Architects looking to gain an understanding about Azure Data Engineering stack
Hello! I am a full time senior data engineer/ architect. I have over 20 years of experience delivering some of the large data projects for industries ranging from technology, gaming, finance, retail and government. The projects I delivered were both on cloud platforms such as Azure and AWS as well as On-premises. I am also a Microsoft certified Azure Data Engineer Associate.
I have a passion for teaching and I take great pride in the success of my students. I have a different style of teaching than that of a standard I.T. trainer. My courses are based on real world projects. My courses will, not only explain the concepts, but also make them stick by using real world projects and examples. Throughout the course I give guidance on good practices and guide you towards building a production ready application. I strongly believe that once you have completed my courses you will have sufficient experience and knowledge required to start a real time project on that technology. Of course you may require further learning to progress in your career, but I will give you the required foundation and put you in the right direction to gain additional knowledge.
I value your time as much as I do mine. So, I keep my courses to the point and my courses have been taught in simple English without any jargons.