Aviation: Airport Ramp Safety Course
What you'll learn
- Learn how ramp safety is addressed from the early stages of an airport’s design and development by embedding safety into the ramp layout and ground markings.
- Learn ramp safety aspects, considerations and precautions in 13 ground handling operations common at airports around the world.
- Learn important safety lessons from ground handling accidents and their investigation reports.
- Learn about REDA – a methodology developed by the famous aircraft manufacturer Boeing for carrying out ramp accident investigation proceedings.
- Some basic information about aircraft ground handling operations will help. However, it is not mandatory as you will get introduced to each operation before its ramp safety aspects are explained.
Do you know that a large number of aircraft accidents take place when the aircraft is on the ground?
Just like safety is importance during flight, it is of paramount importance when the aircraft is on the ground. Ramp is the place where an aircraft parks after it has landed on an airport and before it takes off again for another destination. There are tens of different ramp operations meant for servicing the aircraft to make it ready for departure again. These ramp operations (also known as Ground Support Operations) are integral part of airport operation.
A lot of accidents take place when the aircraft is on the ramp because ramp becomes a very busy place with a lot of movement of men and machines around the aircraft to perform different ground handling operations in a time pressure environment (to avoid delay in departure). Therefore, Ramp Safety is an important matter for anyone involved in airport or aircraft operations. Airport authorities, Ground Support Equipment manufacturers and regulatory bodies around the world strive for improving safety on the ramp in every possible way within their capacity.
This course will teach you what Ramp Safety is all about. This course is not going to give you a bullet list of safety precautions to be observed on the ramp because that is just too boring. This course is designed to impart intuitive understanding of ramp safety by explaining a lot of Why's behind the What's and How's. It is intended to cultivate an in-depth understanding of safety aspects of all major ground handling operations carried out on the ramp.
Who this course is for:
- Employees of airlines, ground handling agencies, airport authorities, regulatory bodies (like ICAO, IATA & ACI) and Ground Support Equipment Manufacturers.
- People working in or involved in airport management, airside management, apron management, aviation safety management, air traffic control & management and even airport consultancy firms.
- Scholars conducting research on airport safety, apron or airside safety and management, aircraft safety and ground handling safety.
My professional experience covers aircraft ground handling operations management, ground support equipment (GSE) maintenance, airport services contract management, airport development works and health & safety oversight.
Presenting and teaching has always been my passion and that is why I have made this Udemy Instructor account. I'm using this platform to teach the things that I have mastered through my experience, observation and research. I am making courses that make difficult stuff easy to understand by adopting an intuitive approach of understanding concepts and problems.