Autism Awareness for All
- No prior knowledge required.
- An interest in autism would help!
Autism is a condition which affects almost everyone in some way, whether you have a family member, a child, a friend, a colleague, a student or are have autism yourself. Autism is a hidden condition and therefore it requires some understanding and in this free course you will learn all you need to understand autism.
This course will teach you what autism is and how to recognises its major characteristics, it will teach you why autism is a spectrum disorder (or condition) and it will teach you about the major challenges which autistic people might face.
I hope by the end of this course you will have a new awareness of autism and you will be able to approach autism with understanding.
About the author:
Timothy Sproule has been working with autistic children and adults for 13 years using martial arts to help with their development. He was a befriender for the NAS (national autistic society) and member of his local committee between 2009-2019 and is now an ambassador for the European branch of Fighting for Autism.
Timothy was diagnosed with asperges syndrome at 7 years old and understands the struggles and stigma faced by autistic people as well as their skills, abilities and potential.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone and everyone – autism affects 1% of the world population so everyone should learn about it.
- This course will be helpful for family members, teachers, colleagues and anyone who is working with an autistic person.
- 01:49Why autism awareness is so important
- 02:57Who am I?
- 1 questionAutism affects more than 1 in 100 people - True or False?
- 00:38True of False 2
- 1 questionPeople tend to ‘grow out’ of autism in adulthood - True or False?
- 00:46True or False 3
- 1 questionAutism affects both boys and girls - True or False?
- 00:20True or False 4
- 1 questionSome autistic people don’t speak - True or False?
- 00:27True or False 5
- 1 questionAutism is a mental health problem - True or False?
- 00:26True or False 6
- 1 questionAll autistic people are geniuses - True or False?
- 00:41True or False 7
- 1 questionEveryone is a little bit autistic - True or False?
- 00:40True or False 7 Answer
For thirteen years I have been helping autistic children and adults to develop their social abilities, build confidence and to learn life skills – primarily through martial arts. I was also a committee member of our local autism charity and am now an ambassador for Fighting for Autism.
Using my experience, I have been teaching autism awareness courses to parents, teachers and professionals for the past three years. I am excited to do the same on Udemy!