Astronomy for VCE Physics
- An inquiring mind
- access the computer or iPad (preferrably both)
- access to the internet
This course covers the content as prescribed by VCAA for the Unit 1,2 Physics Detailed Study of Astronomy.
The course includes audio/video instruction, running simulations, analysing images and, importantly, your own observations of the night sky.
The course will take 3 weeks to complete, with 3 lessons per week.
Each lesson typically involves:
- the introduction of the theory (video and/or text)
- experiment/practical activity/night sky observation/simulation exercise
- further reading/references
The final lessons will go through revision of course content, then a final test.
Who this course is for:
- year 11 physics students undertaking Astronomy
- 04:32Introduction to Astronomy
- 1 pageIntroduction to Astronomy questions
- 1 pageWatching the night sky activity
- 4 questionsIntroduction quiz
- 00:28Further reading, things to watch and sites to look at
- 03:13Starry Night software demonstration showing the ecliptic
- 02:24Getting started with Stellarium
- 01:40The Ecliptic as seen from outside the solar system
- 02:52Stellarium ecliptic and key functions
Currently teaching Physics, Mathematics and Science.
Love everything to do with these topics.
I have been teaching for ten years. Prior to this I was an Engineer at a factory manufacturing telecommunication grade optical fibre. Most of the data and voice traffic in Australia and New Zealand travels through fibre that we made.
My first Engineering job was in the electronic design of the head-up display used in the F-16.