ASL Expressions Lessons #1-6
What you'll learn
- This is a beginning level course in American Sign Language. This is a 6-lesson series in which you will learn the finger spelled alphabet, 20-30 new vocabulary words each lesson and 10-15 practice sentences, plus grammatical and cultural notes.
- There are no requirements or prerequisites to taking this beginning level series.
In this course you will learn 120+ signs, 60+ phrases and sentences, fingerspelling, numbers, basic ASL grammar as well as cultural notes. You will be able to have basic American Sign Language conversations by learning not only the high frequency signs, but also how to construct them into sentences. You will learn how to introduce yourself, ask questions, respond to questions, listen actively and ask for signs you don't know.
Who this course is for:
- Do you have a Deaf/hard hearing or non verbal family member, friend, co-worker, neighbor, student, client or employee/employer?
- Do you love learning languages and want to learn a language that you can express without making a sound?
- Do you have an aging parent and hate feeling like you are yelling at them all the time?
- Do you have a progressive hearing loss and worry about how you will stay connected with the world around you?
- Are you a teacher in a Special Ed program and see students in your classroom that would benefit greatly from a non-verbal modality of communication?
- Are you a daycare provider and want to incorporate sign language into your routine?
- Are you a homeschooler and want to learn ASL for your foreign language requirements?
Hello! My name is Tara and I have been teaching American Sign Language for over 15 years. I have chosen to offer my classes to the general community, rather than through a college or university, because a large percentage of people who express an interest in learning sign language are not degree seeking. My personal experience as an individual with a hearing loss makes me more aware of the needs of the community and of the language itself. Sign language completely changed my life and opened up a world of deep and meaningful connections. It is my greatest desire to share this beautiful language with others.