Actionscript 3 Side Scrolling Games
What you'll learn
- Program at least one level of a side scrolling game
- Adobe Flash CS5, CS5.5, CS6, CC (or any version with Actionscript 3)
Justin Dike, lead developer and owner of CartoonSmart.com teaches every step in programming a side scrolling Flash game with Actionscript 3. Use the arrow keys to move a character around and attack while traversing a vector based environment (you can easily draw the entire level to play on using vector shapes or movie clips.
Also included is alternate code to use with a mobile device's accelerometer (tested on the Android & iPhone OS). Topics include:
- Add new classes for different enemies.
- Add new classes for objects like coins to collect.
- Swap in new art to easily create new levels (just cut and paste, or draw in new art).
- Add more levels, including animation that the player could collide with.
- Add more objectives (items to pick up or areas on the board to go to)
- Adjust how many enemies are on stage, where they spawn from, and how often they appear.
- Change the physics of the game, speed or attack intensities of the enemies
As usual with Justin's tutorials, source files are included.
Who this course is for:
Justin Dike is the founder of CartoonSmart one of the internet's first video training websites. He is a long-time illustrator and animator, focusing mostly on Adobe Flash, and experienced programmer with Swift, Sprite Kit, Actionscript 3, Objective C and Cocos2d. For CartoonSmart he has recorded hundreds of hours of video tutorials and recently published his first full length book titled iOS Programming with Xcode and Cocos2d available in the iBookstore. Justin has also developed many iOS games, including a side scrolling game engine.