Actionscript 3 Side Scrolling Games
- 3.5 hours on-demand video
- 1 article
- 5 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Program at least one level of a side scrolling game
In this lesson we will spawn more enemies, handle what happens when an enemy falls off the edge of the universe, code actions for the player jumping and attacking, and a whole lot more.
The example files for this part of the course are included in the Supplemental Materials tab.
In this lesson we'll add a Coin class and include code for using the Accelerometer on a mobile device to control the character. The example files (in the Supplemental Materials tab) might not run properly if you don't test on a device.
The Supplemental files included with Lecture 6 strip out the mobile code.
- Adobe Flash CS5, CS5.5, CS6, CC (or any version with Actionscript 3)
Justin Dike, lead developer and owner of CartoonSmart.com teaches every step in programming a side scrolling Flash game with Actionscript 3. Use the arrow keys to move a character around and attack while traversing a vector based environment (you can easily draw the entire level to play on using vector shapes or movie clips.
Also included is alternate code to use with a mobile device's accelerometer (tested on the Android & iPhone OS). Topics include:
- Add new classes for different enemies.
- Add new classes for objects like coins to collect.
- Swap in new art to easily create new levels (just cut and paste, or draw in new art).
- Add more levels, including animation that the player could collide with.
- Add more objectives (items to pick up or areas on the board to go to)
- Adjust how many enemies are on stage, where they spawn from, and how often they appear.
- Change the physics of the game, speed or attack intensities of the enemies
As usual with Justin's tutorials, source files are included.