Art, Art Therapy and Dementia
What you'll learn
- Be able to distinguish the main types of dementia
- Be aware of the risk factors for dementia
- Understand how Art Therapy can reduce the risk of dementia
- Understand how Art Therapy can reduce dementia symptoms
- Be aware of the downside of art therapy
- None required - except time to ponder...
This is a course that is in several stages:
1. We discuss what dementia IS - and what it is not
2. We examine how dementia affects different people in different ways
3. We look at what Art Therapy is
4. We look at how Art Therapy can help those with dementia - or simply reduce the risk of getting dementia
5. We go through the specific benefits of Art Therapy (in relation to reducing dementia risk)
6. We then go through a whole series of Art Therapy exercises aimed specifically at being of benefit to those with dementia
7. We look at studies about Art Therapy and dementia
8. Art Therapy also has a downside - we look at that too
The end result is that if you know anyone with dementia, after the course you'll not only know more about the disease but also a whole series of exercises and tasks that can be used to reduce a) the risk and b) the symptoms.
This course is very practical - the more involved you become, the more you share - the more you will learn. The course was launched in late 2022 so it will take time for the Q/A to build up. Lectures encourage the sharing of the results of the art therapy exercises - as do the workbooks.
In addition to the specific Art Therapy exercises a number of 'tasks' are given that will also be of use.
Important to note: Although this course is about Art Therapy and Dementia, all of the exercises, all of the tasks will be of use to someone who is elderly and is beginning to show symptoms - not of dementia (you need a qualified professional to diagnose this) but of withdrawal and isolation (especially in this era of lockdowns!)
Second important note: Although the course is but a few hours long, on completion of the course you have access to any one of my other courses. Complete that and new access to another. So in a sense this course is 1,000 hours long!
This course includes:
a. a workbook (Dementia and Art Therapy exercises)
b. numerous links to other sites and homework set based on these links
c. Film clips of (relevant) films in which the Instructor appears. (this makes the course a little more personal!)
d. Regular Educational Announcements on Art Therapy and Dementia
Who this course is for:
I currently volunteer for:
Different Strokes (Stroke charity) - Ambassador
Age UK - running a book club
NHS - Culture liaison
NHS - interview panels
Sport in Mind - Support
Multiple Sclerosis - Support Worker
Trinity Learning - - visit Primary Schools
Oxford Recovery College - tutor
Horton Hospital - Hospital radio
Story Telling Museum - guide
43+ years experience teaching Economics, Business, Sociology, Politics and other subjects in schools, universities and other colleges - State and Private Sector. Appeared in 100+ films (including corporate training and fitness videos). 100+ books on Amazon. Featured by the BBC, Polish TV, The Times, The Telegraph and...The Sun.
· University of Oxford (Philosophy and Economics)
· Oxford Brookes (Teacher training)
· University of Glamorgan (Business and Economics)
· Professional qualifications at Masters level
· Business and Economics degree
· Examiner for four major examining boards, at ‘O’ and ‘A’ level.
· Three teaching diplomas plus CELTA
· Qualified fitness trainer
Key academic positions held:
· Principal Oxford School of Learning
· Director of Studies: St Joseph’s Hall, Oxford
· Head of Economics: Cherwell Tutors
· Head of Business and Economics: Pipers Corner School, Buckingham
Founder: Almost Random Theatre
Business and Economics background
Set up and ran Oxford Conferences and ran 50+ Business/Economics conferences at schools - all fees to charity
Amazon Business/Economics books include:
· Case studies for Business
· Time management for teachers
· Creativity techniques in Economics
· Drucker in Business Studies
· Creativity in Business
· Business calculations
· Further applications of de Bono
· Applying de Bono
· Philosophy Games
Taught students at the University of Oxford , Brookes University and schools in the state and independent sector
Principal of Oxford School of Learning for 15 years
Created OSL Training and trained Business, Psychology and Sociology teachers
Set up Marketing Education Services in the 1980s and sold cassette tape recordings of my lectures at the University of Oxford
Featured in The Times, The Telegraph, the BBC, ITV and Polish national television owing to the success of my teaching techniques and subsequent success of my students.
Ex-Buyer for a major car company
Psychology and Motivation background
Author of 100+ books on Amazon (mainly Business/Economics/Psychology) including:
· GCSE Psychology thru Mind Maps
· AS/A2 Psychology
· AS Psychology thru Mind Maps
· A2 Psychology thru Mind Maps
· Lifestyle Plan
· The Internet and Psychology
Through his own business OSL Training has run training courses for teachers of Psychology
Writer of several plays about death and appeared in films dealing with death
Theatre and Film Career
· 2012 - set up Almost Random Theatre.
· Since 2012 the theatre has delivered workshops in Scotland, Wales, Czech Republic and Poland as well as 15 schools in England.
· Chris has written/directed over 50 short and 3 one-Act plays that have subsequently been performed in London and Oxford.
· Scripts for three of his plays have been sold, via an Independent publisher, to schools in the UK.
· Course-creator/author of Coping with Old Age and Death - one person's perspective.
· He has also had plays put on - and performed in - Oxford and Brighton Fringes, London, Scotland and Wales.
· Chris has appeared in over 112 films.
· Ambassador for Heart UK
· Stoke Lead and member of Research panel for the Stroke Association
· Board member of Stroke Club UK
· Ambassador for Different Strokes (charity)
· Member of PHC (Public Health Collaboration) UK
· Author of 6-volume Lifestyle Manual
· Author of other Lifestyle books on Amazon
· Originator of the Holman Protocol
Nothing in any of Chris's courses should be interpreted as linking to or representing any of the above stroke organisations.