What you'll learn
- Define aromatherapy as used for therapeutic purposes
- Review the history and current state of the aromatherapy industry
- Understand how essential oils are produced
- Be aware of common contraindications and cautions for using essential oils
- Choose essential oils that will have the benefits you're seeking
- Know what reputable resources are available for further study
- An internet connection and access to a computer with speakers (or headphones)
- No previous aromatherapy study is required - this is for the beginner
- Recommended but not required: a small selection of essential oils to examine during the course such as Eucalyptus, Rosemary, Frankincense, Sweet Orange, Juniperberry, and Lavender
This is a basic introduction to aromatherapy and the use of essential oils for therapeutic purposes. It's designed with the absolute beginner in mind. If you've always wondered about aromatherapy, but have never studied it formally (or if it's been a very long time since you have) then this course is for you!
The topics covered are:
- What is Aromatherapy?
- History of Aromatherapy
- Current Trends
- Distillation, Extraction and Storage
- Safe Use, Cautions and Contraindications
- Overview of benefits
- Base Oils and Products
- Further Study
This aromatherapy course is not affiliated with any products company or multi-level marketing scheme. It is purely educational. You do not need to purchase anything to go through this course, although if you already have a few essential oils on hand to sniff and examine during the lectures, that's great!
You should complete this course before moving on to more advanced topics such as blending and aromatherapy treatment design. This course is more conceptual than a workshop would be. It will give you the knowledge you need to jumpstart your aromatherapy practice and confidence to begin using essential oils.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone with an interest in aromatherapy, natural products, and harnessing the power of nature for body, mind and spirit
- Holistic practitioners
Su Gibson is an consultant, writer and lecturer at the university level. With an MBA in International Business, a BA in Psychology and over a decade of experience within the spa industry, she enjoys writing and teaching about all topics in health, spas and wellness.
She has written for magazines such as Les Nouvelles Esthetiques & Spa, Massage Magazine, and Health Tourism Magazine, as well as contributed towards textbooks on Wellness and Spa Management.
Her certifications and licenses include Certified Hospitality Educator, Massage Therapist, Massage Therapy Instructor, Yoga Instructor, Reiki Master Therapist, and Continuing Education Provider.
You may read her full bio and connect with Su on LinkedIn at: http://www.linkedin.com/in/suzannelgibson