Arduino Programming for Kids and Beginners with Tinkercad
What you'll learn
- Code - one of the most necessary skills to learn
- Build electronic circuits from Scratch
- Block-based programming which is very useful for beginners
- Control Input/Output components using Arduino
- Computer science concepts by intuitively applying them in real-life electronic circuits
- Write programs to control LEDs, sensors and electric motors
- No prior programming knowledge is required
Important Update: 10.10.2021
This course is originally focused on block-based coding, however, I am updating all the coding lectures by adding optional text-based coding tutorials.
In this course, we'll learn electrical engineering basics and important computer science topics. For that, we will use Tinkercad – the joyful programming and electronics simulator tool designed by Autodesk.
I will teach you how to program the Arduino, how to use sensors, electric motors and all the way to creating real-life electronic circuits. We'll learn by actually practicing and analyzing real applications. But what’s truly special and valuable in this course is that the lessons are carefully designed to target specific programming and electronics concepts without getting into boring or complex details.
If you do not have any experience with programming or electronics, that’s OK! Because I designed this course for the absolute beginners. The course is mainly focused on not only giving technical details but also providing real applications to explain the importance of the lecture topics.
We are going to start understanding microcontrollers, especially Arduino and then we will jump right into creating our first circuit and learn basics of electrical engineering.
We will learn how traffic lights works and how they are programmed to control the flow of traffic.
Then, we are going to learn what is a push button and how walk buttons work to help pedestrians across the road.
And after that we will understand what is a sensor and we will make an alarm system that will inform us when the burglar entered house.
Following that, we are going to see how electric motors work and we will create a servo motor circuit that automates opening and closing the doors or windows.
Finally, we will make Smart Home Project which provides automating the ability to control items around the house.
Upon completing this course, you will have the skills and knowledge needed to create fun and useful Arduino projects.
The course is regularly updated with new materials, exercises, tips and tricks that you can use in your projects!
Who this course is for:
- For kids 8 and up (learn on your own), for teachers, or for parents working with children ages 6-14.
- Perfect for homeschooling parents or K-12 parents and teachers who would like to give their students the most fun experience by introducing robotics, programming and electronics
- Absolute beginners in programming and computer science
- Anyone curious about electronics and programming
- This course is not for experienced Arduino coders, unless you want to code with your kids.
I am a robotics engineer with a passion for teaching.
I hold a bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering and master degree in Mechatronics from Tallinn University of Technology. I am former robotics lecturer at high school and I have more than 3 years work experience as a robotics team coach. For 3+ years, I have taught a variety of Computer Science and Electronics topics to tens of thousands of students at various levels. I have held lots of live STEM trainings for teachers and parents. Currently, I am teaching robotics to middle school and high school students and I am also giving talks and running workshops.
I believe that the current education should be enriched through STEM, both inside and outside the classroom and I will be very happy if I have a small impact on creating a joyful learning environment.