API and Webservices - Understand and use REST APIs
What you'll learn
- Learn what API/Webservices are and how they work
- API Endpoints
- Learn the main HTTP request methods - GET, POST, PUT, PATCH, HEAD, & DELETE
- HTTP Requests and Responses
- What a RESTful API is and the six guiding principles of REST
- The parts of an HTTP request
- HTTP Respones and Status Codes
- How to craft your own HTTP requests to an API using the Postman Application
- Path parameters
- Query parameters
- Learn how structure data in the JSON and XML formats
- Exercises on structuring data in JSON and XML
- No programming knowledge is required for this course. You will learn everything you need in the course.
APIs and Web Services are everywhere these days and if you're in IT then it's essential you know how to work with them.
Unfortunately, a lot of the material online about REST APIs is confusing, especially for beginners. But don’t worry, because in this course I explain all the technical terms in a way that is easy to understand. We’re going to be learning all about how APIs work and how to use them.
If you are a beginner, or if you have some knowledge of APIs but need a refresher, this course is for you. This course includes all the essential components of APIs that every IT professional should know. The Main Topics include REST, HTTP, JSON, & XML. This course includes demos, quizzes, and exercises to test your new skills.
What you are going to learn:
Learn exactly what an API is
What API Endpoints are
Calling the International Space Station API – follow along demo.
Introduction to HTTP – the main protocol used when sending data over the internet
The different parts of an HTTP Request – The Request Line, Headers, & Body
Commonly used HTTP Request Methods - GET, POST, PUT, PATCH, HEAD, & DELETE
Learn when to use each Request Method.
Learn what idempotence means and how this relates to request methods.
Send different types of requests to an API using Postman (free version) – follow along demo.
Learn the structure of HTTP Responses
Understand Response Status Codes
Learn the JSON data format.
Learn how to structure data in JSON by completing an exercise
Solution to the JSON exercise
REST APIs and the six guiding principles of REST – what makes an API RESTful
Learn both query parameters and path parameters - includes a demo using an API called SWAPI
Learn the XML data format
XML follow along demo
XML Quiz and Exercise
Solution to the XML Exercise
If you're wanting to get a strong foundation in APIs then I look forward to working with you in the course!
Who this course is for:
- Aspiring Developers or those who want to refresh their knowledge.
- Anyone who works with data
Hi, my name is Daniel. I currently live in New Zealand and I work as a Spatial Analyst in the local government sector. I have a passion for data and over the years have become an expert in SQL and relational databases. I enjoy teaching others and I hope you enjoy my courses.