The Animation Storytelling and Pre-Production Workshop
What you'll learn
- Know the basics of scriptwriting for animation
- Learn how to translate that script to storyboard with Storyboarder software
- Be capable of capturing great voice over performances from actors
- Interest in animation or filmmaking
- Word processing software - Microsoft Word ok, scriptwriting software like Celtx, Slugline, Highland
- An understanding of the basics of storytelling
Great animation filmmaking is more than character design and making things move around in our favorite software; it involves crafting a solid story with interesting shots and voices to support it. In "Animation Pre-Production", we cover
scripting compelling stories that have visual components
storyboarding with software
how to effectively choose visuals for your animation projects that best tell the story
voice recording - where to find actors and how to record voices in person
As an animated filmmaker, I've selected the best lessons I've learned over the years to present in this course and streamline the storytelling process for beginning animators and filmmakers.
No supplies are necessary though I do recommend a few pieces of free software throughout the course, including CeltX and Storyboarder.
Check out the trailer and free lectures to learn more, and see you in class!
Who this course is for:
- Artists and animators who have great ideas but need help organizing them
- Beginning filmmakers
David was born in 1977 in Omaha, NE. He graduated with his BFA in Photography from Arizona State University in 2006, creating portrait series that reflected both the hyperkinetic films, games and comics of the 1980s and 1990s, as well as more humanist documentary work with Indigenous communities in America and Australia.
After ASU he became a teaching artist as well as exhibing around the Southwest/ West Coast and been published in numerous magazines such as Orion, View Camera, B+W/ Color, and others. In 2014 he was named as one of the top 100 Creatives of Arizona by New Times Magazine. He currently lives in Chandler with wife Vesna and 2 children, Patrick and Magdalena.