Animate a Professional Looking Walk in Autodesk Maya
What you'll learn
- Animate a professional looking walk in Autodesk Maya
- Work with video references
- Identify and design the key poses of a walk
- Mirror poses quickly and effortlessly
- Solid character posing
- Understand weight shifts in locomotion
- Make the character walk through space without sliding feet
- Splining and polishing workflows for professional animation
- Work with animation layers to add details and variations
- Fix knee pops and intersections
- Be able to navigate Maya's viewport
- Be able to set keys on the timeline
- Understand the basics of Maya's Graph Editor
- To know that animation layers exist in Maya
Walks are the base of human locomotion, and the foundation for advanced animation. Mastering walk cycles in 3D animation gives you the confidence and skills to control your human characters in more articulated acted scenes.
Learn professional 3D animation workflows while animating a high quality female walk. You only need a trial copy of Maya!
At the end of this course you will be able to confidently animate walk cycles, interpret reference footage for animation, and adopt the same techniques professionals employ to produce industry standard animations.
You will learn about:
Working with video references
Identifying and designing the key poses of a walk
Mirroring poses both manually and employing easy to use custom tools
Understanding weight shifts in locomotion
Controlling the stride
Fixing sliding feet
Setting up priorities for splining
Animation splining and polishing workflows
Working with animation layers to add details and variations
Fixing knee pops and intersections
Making the character move through space
The course will employ industry standard software Autodesk Maya, but the same workflows can be applied to any 3D package.
Check out the course preview!
Who this course is for:
- 3D animators of all levels who want to deliver professional looking animation
- Beginner 3D animators who struggle to deliver convincing locomotion animations
- Beginner 3D animators who want to learn efficient workflows to animate human characters
- Anyone who wants to have some fun animating a nice character!
Hi, my name is Amedeo Beretta and I animate in production and teach students and professionals since the year 2003. I worked on VFX and full CGI features, series, TV ADs, Video Games and promotional videos.
I am specialized in character animation, but I started off as a generalist, developing skills in concept art, 3D modelling, texturing, rigging, shading, rendering, and compositing.
My credits include Paul, John Carter, and Planet 51, feature work performed at award-winning companies like Double Negative, Scanline VFX, and Ilion Animation Studios.
Head over to my Youtube channel to see more of my work and join my Discord!