Microsoft Excel: Pivot Tables, Power Query, Power Pivot/DAX
What you'll learn
- Be able to create PivotTables and PivotCharts, both basic and advanced
- You will be able to format numbers and dates, and create advanced calculations.
- You will be able to Get and Transform multiple sources of data, including merging multiple files from a folder, pivoting and unpivotting.
- Building and refine models, including adding calculated columns and measures.
- You will learn the important M and DAX functions, to enable you to build your own formulas.
- Before you begin this course, you should have a PC with Microsoft Excel 2016 or later.
- The first part of this course will work with Macs, but the second and third parts are not compatible with the Mac version of Excel. (It will work if you are using the PC version of Excel, including using Parallel Desktop.)
- You should also know how to open an Excel workbook, and have an interest in analysis.
- It would also be good if you had prior experience in using Excel formulas, but that is not essential.
- That's it! The more experience in using Excel, the better, but it is not essential.
This course covers the visualizations and analysing content required for Microsoft's 70-779 certification exam. (Note: this exam is no longer available, but the topics are well worth learning!)
Nora: "I liked that it went through really fast through the process, as expected if you consider yourself an advanced Excel user. Really enjoyable"
Dilbag: "Phillip's presentation of content is amazing. He has in-depth knowledge of the subject. I would highly recommend this course."
Amy: "I want to add how this course is by far the best one I have found on the subject. It really delves deeply into each piece of material. While many courses focus on getting you ready for the exam, this one makes sure you know how to use it in the real world as well. I would suggest this course to anyone who not only wants to pass the 70-779 test, but utilize it in their job."
Khalid: "Great great teacher. knowledgable in the tech and its usages, Speed, info delivery, and his voice is friendly. I'm lucky to choose this course over another one ;). Thank you all"
Do you already use the PC version of Excel to create data analysis, but find that you need to create more advanced analyses? Do you want to combine various sets of data, and or manipulate existing data sets? Do you want to save time, and have your analysis be automatically refreshed with new data?
In this course, learn the skills that Microsoft want you to know, and add another tool to your CV, and even go for the Microsoft certification.
Excel is one of the most requested analysis tools that are requested in the job market, and the ability to being able to use it at an advanced level could be very useful for your current work, and your next job hunt.
This course comes in three parts:
Part 1 - Creating Pivot Tables and Pivot Charts
This part of the course covers one of the most useful, but scariest-sounding, functions in Microsoft Excel; PIVOT TABLES.
It sounds difficult, but in fact can be done in just a few clicks. We'll do our first one in a couple of minutes - that's all it takes. We'll also add a chart as well in that time.
After only these first few minutes, you will be streets ahead of anyone who doesn't know anything about Pivot Tables - it is really that important.
After this introduction, we'll go into some detail into how to set up your Pivot Table - the initial data, and the various options that are available to you. We will go into advanced options that most people don't even know about, but which are very useful.
By the end, you will be an Expert user of Pivot Tables, able to create reliable analyses which are able to be drilled-down quickly, and you'll be able to help others with their data analysis.
Part 2 - Get and Transform Data (also known as Prepare the Data)
We see how data can be transformed, saving you time in analysing the data. We'll look at sorting and filtering, split columns, and other transform activities. We'll merge, append and combine queries together. We'll Pivot and Unpivot, and transform text, numbers, dates and times, and create custom columns using the M language.
Part 3 - Refining the model (also known as Model the Data)
We'll see how relationships can be made through multiple tables, and refine the data with custom columns and measures using the DAX language.
The course will take around 16 hours to complete, but completing this will enable you to create vizzes, dashboards and stories of your own, and know how to overcome common problems.
The course increases in difficulty slowly, so you'll create for instance a table or basic bar chart, then turn it into a stacked bar chart, and investigate more of their properties, step by step.
The course is fairly relaxed - there will be a few "wrong turns", so you can see what problems might arise, but every lesson works towards an end goal at a relatively slow pace, so you can follow on your own computer easily. I assume that you know how to use a computer, including installing programs, but the actual analysis will be at a basic level, and I'll introduce every component as we go on.
At the end of the course, you can download a certificate of completion, so you can show everyone your new-found skills, and be able to start creating analyses for yourselves.
Please note: Microsoft will retire the 70-779 exam on 31 January 2021. No replacement has yet been given by Microsoft.
Who this course is for:
- This reporting course is meant for anyone who has no prior, or only a little experience of Pivot Tables, Get and Transform, and Power Pivot.
- No prior experience in reporting tools is required.
- This course is probably not for you if you always know how to how to do the advanced functionality of Get and Transform and Power Pivots, although we will be looking at some more advanced topics, including the M and DAX languages.
Hi. I'm Phillip, and I'm proud to Teach with Udemy as a Udemy Instructor Partner. I have been teaching on Udemy since 2015, and I have over 500,000 students and more than 40 video courses, including over a dozen Bestseller courses.
My courses include Power BI, Tableau, SQL Server, Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, etc.), Azure, Microsoft Office, and more. Many of my courses follow requirements for official Microsoft certifications - so with a bit of practice, you could enter the exam and put it on your CV or resume.
I have been a Computing Consultant providing expert services in the development of computer systems and data analysis. I am one of 9 award winning Experts for Experts Exchange's 11th Annual Expert Awards. My interests are working with data, including Microsoft Power BI, Excel, Access, SQL Server, and the Power Platform.