An Introduction to the DNP3 SCADA Communications Protocol
What you'll learn
- SCADA Telemetry vs. Factory Automation
- DNP3 Design Principles
- Polling with Report By Exception
- Unsolicited with Report By Exception
- Quiescent Operation
- Configuration of FIU and RTU Settings
- Simulation of DNP3 Communication
- Data Representation and Network Messaging
- Implementation Levels and Standards
- DNP3 Data Frame Formats
- DNP3 Data Object Model
- Basic knowledge of PLC hardware, especially Inputs and Outputs
- Awareness of wireless radio communication
- Awareness of Factory Automation protocols using in Industry
If you are involved or will be involved in data acquisition and control of equipment spread over large geographical areas, then you need to have a working knowledge of the DNP3 protocol.
If you work in the areas of Electrical Transmission and Distribution, Water and Waste Water Management, Oil/Gas or Security systems, then having a working knowledge of the DNP3 protocol is a significant asset.
This course has been designed with practicality in mind. At the end of this course, you will know how DNP3 devices represent data in memory and the types of messaging that they use to exchange data. You will also perform practical exercises using simulation software, allowing you to get first hand experience in configuring DNP3 devices for communications. Essentially, you will have a new practical skill in the field of SCADA Telemetry and Wide Area Communication.
Specifically, in this course, you will learn:
- The difference between SCADA and Factory Automation protocols.
- How DNP3 devices represent data in memory.
- DNP3 network messaging types..
- DNP3 terminology: RTU, FIU, Report By Exception, Polled and Unsolicited Communication.
- Configuration of settings in DNP3 devices.
- Configuration and simulation of DNP3 communication.
- Implementation levels and standards.
- DNP3 data frame formats.
and much more ...
Who this course is for:
- Electrical Engineers
- Electrical Technicians
- Electrical Tech or Engineering Students
- Process Control Technicians and Engineers
- Process Automation Engineers
- Programmers working in the Process Automation field
- SCADA Designers and Engineers
- SCADA Technicians
I have been working in the fields of Software Development, Software Systems Integration and Process Automation since 1996. In 2003, I stepped out on my own and started working for myself providing software development and systems integration services to small and medium businesses.
I am also associated with a great company called Mora Systems Limited that under the leadership of it's Managing Director has produced innovative and outstanding products and services in the fields of GIS and Cellular based SCADA.
Teaching has always been a passion for me. I have taught at the tertiary level for many years on the subjects of programming, control systems as well as systems integration. In the last few years I found myself incorporating more and more videos into the curriculum with amazing results.
When I heard of uDemy I just could not help but sign up. With teaching in a classroom, you can reach only so many students, but with uDemy you can reach the world! I plan to publish and promote as many courses as I possibly can on the uDemy platform.