An Introduction to Profibus DP Networking
- 3 hours on-demand video
- 2 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Understand the technical need that led to the development of Profibus DP
- The hardware, cabling, connectors used to connect Profibus DP devices
- The steps required to build a Profibus DP network
- How to build and simulate a Profibus DP network using Siemens SIMATIC software
- How to program a physical Profibus DP network
- Diagnostics and Troubleshooting
- Profibus DP protocol frames and messages
- Working knowledge of the process control devices in a typical Process Automation or SCADA system
- Basic understanding of the operation of a Programmable Logic Controller
- Basic understanding of binary systems and computer memory
Profibus DP is one the most heavily used protocols in the automation industry. Yet learning about it is a real challenge. You could do your best with Internet based research on the topic and you will still find that the information would be mostly high-level. You just would not be able to get down to the practical details.
That's the point of this course, to demystify Profibus DP once and for all, to give the full picture and to give you the information that you need to actually work with Profibus DP at a practical level. If you are looking for a job that involves Profibus DP, you are supposed to be able to handle yourself well in the interview after doing this course.
In this course, you will learn:
- The reason Profibus DP was designed.
- The hardware, cabling, connectors used to connect Profibus DP devices.
- The steps required to build a Profibus DP network.
- How to build and simulate a Profibus DP network using Siemens SIMATIC software.
- How to program a physical Profibus DP network that will be on my workbench.
- Diagnostics and Troubleshooting.
- Profibus DP protocol frames and messages.
and much more ...
- Electrical Engineers
- Electrical Technicians
- Electrical Tech or Engineering Students
- Process Control Technicians and Engineers
- Process Automation Engineers
- Programmers working in the Process Automation field
To understand the technical design of Profibus DP, one must understand the PLC Scan Cycle, and how it is enabled by the Backplane of modular rack based PLCs.
Siemens is the heaviest user of Profibus DP in the world. Working with Profibus DP on a practical level means that you will be interacting with Siemens PLC equipment.