An Introduction to Heat Transfer
- Interest in science/engineering will be helpful. Ability to solve mathematical equations is a requisit
The course will cover the three modes of heat transfer namely conduction, convection and radiation in detail. These modes will be explained through descriptions and illustrations. The underlying equations that define these phenomenon will also be explained in an easy to understand manner.
The last section of the course will explore some interesting examples of Heat transfer from everyday life to engineering. The way heat is managed by entities from animals to satellites will be looked at in detail.
This course will provide several golden nuggets of information to those who are interested in finding out how the thermal mechanics of this world work. It will also provide a head start to students who are due to study heat transfer as part of their engineering curriculum. For students who have struggled with this subject, this course will aim to build and solidify core concepts.
The course is made up of written lectures, Power points, videos and downloadable pdfs. Notes will be provided and tutorials will be given on solving mathematical problems. Almost 30 minutes of videos will be included.
If you are dissatisfied with the course, your money will be refunded.
- This course is for students generally interested in Science or studying Engineering. This course will have mathematical calculation in addition to the underlying theory.
- Anyone looking to study Thermodynamics should not take this course as that is a separate subject
- Introduction to Heat Transfer03:36
- Engineering Applications of Heat Transfer06:06
- Heat Transfer Introduction Quiz2 questions
- Introduction to Conduction04:46
- Details on Conduction04:39
- Resistance to Conduction06:57
- Calculating Conduction00:26
- Conduction Tutorial04:31
- Conduction Quiz3 questions
- Introduction to Convection03:44
- Futher Details on Convection03:29
- Resistance to Convection04:59
- Natural Convection and Forced Convection05:40
- Calculating Convection00:13
- Convection Tutorial04:08
- Convection Quiz2 questions
- Introduction to Radiation03:41
- Resistance to Radiative heat tranfer03:25
- Calculating Radiation00:14
- Radiation Tutorial05:30
- Radiation Quiz2 questions
- Some interesting examples of Heat Transfer from mother nature and Engineering03:27
- Conclusions from the course02:24
- Bonus Question1 question
I graduated as a Mechanical Engineer in 2001 and since then have had a split career. I have worked both in the industry and taught in the academia. This has helped me marry the practicality of work place to the thoroughness of academic study.
I enrolled as a PhD student in 2004 (Edinburgh, UK) and completed my doctorate in 2007 in Renewable Energy (Solar Thermal)
Since then I have in my spare time conducted numerous workshops on Renewable Energy and have been an instructor for Engineers without Borders. I have taught budding Engineers both at college and University. I am a published author of two books.
Teaching is my passion alongside solving engineering challenges that can make a difference to humanity