American Accent Training for East Asian Professionals
- 2.5 hours on-demand video
- 25 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Participants will learn how to pronounce sounds and sound sequences of American English
- Participants will be able to use American English intonation
- Participants will be able to use American English pronunciation in their conversations more automatically
- Advanced English skills
This course trains East-Asian professionals how to speak with more of an American English accent. It includes video lectures and practice sheets for each section. Background languages targeted are: Chinese (Mandarin/Cantonese), Korean, Tagalog, Vietnamese, and Japanese.
In American Accent Training, feedback is very important. This course features videos of feedback sessions with Mandarin (Chinese) speakers. Participants are offered feedback individually as well; once a week, you can send in a voice recording and you will receive feedback.
- East-Asian Professionals desiring to speak with more of an American Accent
Welcome to American Accent Training! This introductory lecture is an overview of the course and covers when and how to practice in order to learn effectively. This lecture also explains the importance of sounds at the end of words, and how they effect your speech.
Below, you will find the practice sheet for this week and the video of a demo client session about sounds at the end of words.
This lecture introduces how to make the "r" sound in the middle and end of words. It includes the following:
1. The movements and positioning needed to make a strong "r" sound
2. Hearing how "r" sounds different than other sounds
3. Producing this sound at the middle and end of words
*Note that the IPA symbol /ɹ/ and the "r" are used interchangeably. For more information about the IPA, visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet