American Life: Practical English Skills
- You should have already taken some Beginner's English Courses. You can speak and understand reasonably well and can use basic tenses but have problems with more complex grammar and vocabulary.
Have you already learned English grammar in school or university but have little experience putting it into practice? Our lectures are practical and will give you an understanding of the English language in real life situations.
American Life English gives you Practical Skills! At the end of this course you will be able to confidently:
- Make Travel Reservations
- Refine a Search
- Contrast and Compare
- Follow the Rules of the Road
- Purchase Protection Plans
You will learn vocabulary used in the American cultural context. You will be able to appropriately communicate with and relate to Americans.
We will teach 5+ hours of video lectures and all the vocabulary you need to independently complete these life skills. Anyone is welcome to join who can speak and understand reasonably well and can use basic tenses but have problems with more complex grammar and vocabulary.
You can access the lectures and worksheets when it is convenient for you. You don't ever need to worry about missing a class. You can listen to the lectures as many times as you need until you master each topic.
Language + Culture = Adventure!
Are you considering moving to America or soon travelling to America? This course will help you to get ready for your new adventure.
We want you to be as prepared as you can, taking advantage of every opportunity presented to you through knowing the English language and to succeed in those opportunities.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who has learned English grammar in school or university but have not used what they've learned in the real life.
- Anyone wanting conversation with native English speakers.
- Anyone wanting an understanding of the cost of living in America.
- Anyone who wants to learn English on their free time at home.
- Anyone travelling or moving to America.
- Anyone who is testing for ESL, English as a Second Language, or TESOL.
- Who should NOT take the course: Anyone who does not have a basic understanding of English grammar and vocabulary. This is an intermediate course.
We lived in Central Asia for 14 years where we were the Founders/Directors of an NGO working with university students, "Greenhouse Club." At our student center we taught many skills but the main thing most everyone wanted to learn was the English language. We taught English at our center, in universities, in remote villages and often ended up teaching impromptu mini-lessons at the bazaar. :)
Not long ago we moved back to America and even though we spent our childhoods here we found adjusting to life as adults very difficult to navigate culturally. Many of the lessons in this course were formed out of our hope that others coming to America for the first time would learn not only necessary vocabulary but gain an understanding of everyday American societal systems.