All about Arduino Wireless and the IoT
What you'll learn
- Use Arduino and ESP8266 to transmit and receive data wirelessly over WiFi, and Radio
- Configure and program various transceivers like the Nrf2401, 315Mhz, and LoRa
- Protoype basic wireless hardware with Arduino and the ESP8266
- Create Datalogs and files using an embedded SD card, and software based datalogging in Putty, Teraterm and Android
- Learn how to properly use the send and receive API's to pass arrays and data structures wirelessly
- Use various 3rd party sites for Data Visualization and conditional SMS and Email alerts
- Have basic knowledge of Arduino
- Basic prototyping skills with Arduino and ability to connect jumpers and use a breadboard as needed
- Basic Windows PC, UNIX, or MAC Knowledge
This course is a strong foundation for understanding IoT utilizing wireless Arduino communications. We will be using both the Arduino and the ESP8266 for wiFi and radio functions. This course will give students an good understanding of IoT and wireless communications utilizing Arduino and the ESP8266 with inexpensive wireless transmitters, receivers and transceivers. We will go over most of the popular and least expensive methods, tools, and associated hardware to pass data wirelessly between devices and over the web and through the cloud. Students will learn how to configure, develop, and program these popular and cheap wireless devices to trigger an event or pass data between devices. Students will be able to thoroughly grasp the concepts of transmitting data around the web:
*ESP8266 to the web
* Arduino data to a PC
* Arduino data to the "Cloud"
* Arduino to Putty and Teraterm
* Arduino to SD Card for Datalogging
* Arduino to ThingSpeak, Google, IFTTT, Losant, Ubidots and others for for graphics and conditional
control Flow applications.
Hardware and Tools utilized in this course:
315 MHz transmitters
nRF2401+ (Nordic radio Transceivers)
ESP8266 (Model 12-E)
DHT11 Environmental Monitor
Ethernet Shield based on the popular WIZnet 5100 chip
Students will learn how to manipulate each of the wireless libraries, functions, and protocols to meet the requirements of a wireless network. we will cover not only simple wireless over the "air" , Students will also acquire the knowledge needed to use wireless Wifi chips and Ethernet to pass data to the web with, and without, a computer.
Who this course is for:
- Engineers interested in IoT applications
- Hobbyists who want to "make" and wish to send data wirelessly with Arduino
- Students enrolled in Engineering who are interested in wireless communications with Arduino
- Arduino enthusiasts looking to add IoT and wireless expertise to their embedded toolkit
- Anyone wanting to learn the basics of IoT
Steve Borsay is a Degreed Computer Engineer and electronic hobbyist with an interest in making embedded systems understandable and enjoyable to enthusiasts of all experience and knowledge levels. An AWS IoT Hero. Technical training and product instruction available for IoT, Embedded Systems, and Device to Cloud integration. I will try to answer all questions in a timely manner.