Agile Project Portfolio Management - Part 2/2
What you'll learn
- Understanding of the basics of project portfolio management
- Explanation of the basics of agile project management
- Discussion of a complete (end-to-end) agile project portfolio management process
- Analysis of agile release management and resource allocation
- Demonstration of a real-life project
- Historical case studies
- Three pillars of PPM
- Project management vs. portfolio management
- Why bad things happen without PPM
- Agile core values
- Agile project processes
- Agile vs. Waterfall
- Knowledge of Project Management
This course is a result of 25 years of consulting project and portfolio management experience and participation in project portfolio management (PPM) implementations at multiple companies.
The first part of the course will focus on definitions and descriptions of the key concepts of project portfolio management and Agile project management. First, we will examine several case studies that would help us to define the three pillars of project portfolio management: maximizing the project value, balancing the project mix and alignment of your company’s portfolio to its strategy.
Then we will examine the differences between project management and project portfolio management as well as the zones where they overlap and support each other. We will conclude the Project Portfolio Management overview with several reasons why bad things usually happen if portfolio management is ignored.
Consequently, we will also discuss Agile Project Management and its key components like Agile core values, Agile project processes and comparisons between Agile and Waterfall approaches.
In the second part of the course, we will examine the proposed Agile Project Portfolio Management processes starting from the High-Level Design Document (HLD) to Low-Level Design Document (LLD) to Development and Release. We will also discuss Agile resource allocation and Agile release management.
Finally, I will demonstrate to you – using real-life project documents the complete journey of one project I have worked on through the entire Agile PPM pipeline, from inception to the final delivery.
Who this course is for:
- You want to understand the basics of Agile project portfolio management
- You want to assess the costs and benefits of the project being proposed to your organization
- You plan to participate in the Agile project assessment committee
- C-level executives who should be making the ultimate “Go/Kill” decisions
- Directors of PMO (Director of Project Management, Portfolio Manager, etc.) who are typically responsible for implementing portfolio management
- Project and program managers who run projects and supply executives with key information
- Sales and Marketing people who interact with customers and gather their feedback and requirements
An internationally acclaimed expert and speaker in the areas of project and portfolio management, scope definition, process improvement and corporate training. Jamal has done work for both private-sector companies and government organizations in Canada, US, Asia, Europe and Middle East. With more than 20 years of experience in management and troubled project recovery of large enterprise, IT and software development projects in banking, finance, retail, e-commerce, oil and gas, software and many other industries.