Adobe Illustrator Advanced Pattern Techniques - Masterclass
What you'll learn
- Make a range of seamless repeating patterns in Illustrator
- Understand how to dissect a design on paper to create it digitally
- Work more confidently in Illustrator
- Learn handy shortcut keys and techniques
- Create designs suitable for print on demand products, and digi-scrapping
- Learn actionable surface pattern design techniques
- Size and recolor any pattern with ease
- Reinforce everything you learn with practical exercises
- Create realistic plaid designs
- Turn Vector textures into seamless repeating patterns
- Use custom designed templates to create patterns that can't be created using the Pattern Make tool
- Make Ikat patterns that mimic the look of fabric
- Create terrazzo patterns without drawing all the shapes
- Learn techniques for making Ditsy patterns crammed full of small shapes
- Create whimsical curvy line patterns
- You should be able to use your PC or Mac at a competent beginner level.
- You should have Adobe Illustrator CS6 or Illustrator CC installed on your computer.
- You should be able to use the Pattern Make tool to create a basic pattern in Illustrator.
- You should know how to save a repeating pattern in Illustrator for reuse.
- The process for creating every pattern is fully explained and practical exercises are included.
Adobe Illustrator Advanced Pattern Techniques - Masterclass - extend your Illustrator knowledge by making useful designs
Are you ready to make more advanced and complex patterns in Illustrator? Do you want to extend your knowledge of Illustrator? Do you want to expand your surface pattern design and graphic design skills?
This course is for you. It's a fun and a practical way of becoming more competent in using Illustrator.
Here you'll "learn by doing" as you make a range of advanced and more complex seamless repeating patterns. You can use these patterns for saleable creative assets, scrapbook papers, stock imagery, backgrounds, and for your own projects. Upload them to Spoonflower to make fabric and wallpaper, and print them on book covers and mugs. There are literally hundreds of ways to make use of the patterns you'll make in this course and you'll be so proud when you say "I made that".
Who is your trainer?
Helen Bradley has taught thousands of students to use Illustrator and Photoshop. She doesn't fluff about and is focused on helping you learn to use Illustrator in a practical and smart way. Her workflows are carefully structured for maximum success and she explains everything so you know the 'why' as well as the 'how' of any process.
Helen has a huge commitment to her students' learning - she answers all student questions and often adds extra videos to a course to help students with questions that others might also benefit from learning from.
What will you learn?
When you complete this course, you'll:
- be able to create a range of advanced types and styles of seamless repeating patterns in Illustrator
- have extended your knowledge of Illustrator tools
- have learned new tips and techniques that you can use every day
Do I hear you say "...I struggle a bit when using Illustrator (frankly, I'm even a bit scared of it)"?
I've been there.
Illustrator can be really scary and a bit intimidating to use.
… but I've created a better way to learn Illustrator. One that makes it a lot less scary and a lot more fun.
You see, you'll learn to make patterns you can sell, give away on your blog, and use yourself. So you'll be making designs that you can do something with at the same time that you are extending your Illustrator knowledge. There's no waiting! There's no hours of learning before you can get started doing something. In fact you can start today. Complete the first few lessons and you'll have your first patterns made!
Do I hear you say "... but I hate the Pen tool!"?
I understand! Most people hate the pen tool. You are not alone!
… I believe that Illustrator is so much more than its (dreaded) Pen tool – so we'll use the pen tool only when we have to (which is practically never) and you'll see just how much you can achieve without it.
Do I hear you say "... but I can't draw"?
No problem! If you can use a mouse you can complete this course.
Quite simply, you don't need to be able to draw. In fact many designers can't draw and yet they make fantastic designs and great products.
If you can draw – great! If you can't draw – don't worry, you'll be able to do succeed in this course even if drawing isn't a skill you have mastered.
Are you ready to extend your Illustrator skills?
I'm assuming you already know the basics of using Illustrator. So, in taking this class you will elevate your skills to a new level. You'll learn to use tools and techniques in a practical situation so you use what you're learning instantly. You'll reinforce your existing knowledge as you apply it to real world designs. And if we use tools you've never used before - great! You'll learn to use them fast and easily so you understand how you can put them to work in your daily workflow.
Do I hear you say "Please don't waste my time"?
If there is one thing I hate it’s wasting time and you probably do too.
So, I don't say "um", I don't fluff about, I don't make mistakes, I know my stuff and I show you how to do things efficiently and effectively. I speed up the videos where appropriate so you don't get bored or distracted.
I'm 100% focused on helping you learn.
In short, I'll get straight to the point and I’ll maximize what you learn in every lecture.
Will I just learn to make patterns?
Well Yes, and No!
Yes, you'll learn to make patterns – lots of wonderful seamless repeating patterns. Each pattern has been chosen for a reason. There are the plaid and Ikat patterns which mimic the look of fabric effects, and there are geometric, and organic patterns. Each uses different techniques so you extend your knowledge of Illustrator as you complete your designs.
But along the way you'll also learn to use tools and effects like Filters, the Wrinkle and the Pencil tools and how to join elements together to make seamless repeats.
You'll also learn to recolor your patterns and I'm willing to bet that you'll fall in love with the recolor tool as you use it to explore wonderful color schemes for your art.
In short, you'll learn techniques and tips that you can use everyday as you work in Illustrator and you'll grow in confidence with every completed lecture.
How will I learn?
This course is made up 100% of video content. You'll watch my screen as I show you how each pattern is made. I'll explain what I am doing and why so you can learn as you watch.
In one lecture you'll make a pattern from lots of small objects. Because making those objects isn't an important part of the class, we'll use some free to download vectors so you can get to work straight away. That way you can focus on the pattern and not the bits that go to making it.
I hope you will join me in this Illustrator class. I look forward to meeting you and I invite you to contact me if you have any questions as you work through the lectures.
Who this course is for:
- Illustrator users who want to extend their knowledge of Illustrator in a fun and practical way
- Illustrator users wanting to advance their knowledge, and learn to design using a smart workflow
- Anyone wanting to make patterns and creative assets for sale online or personal use (eg. scrapbooking, stock)
- Self taught Illustrator users will gain value by extending their knowledge of tools and techniques
- Anyone who wants to be able to recreate complex pattern layouts in Illustrator
Helen Bradley is an expatriate Australian, designer, and educator. She specializes in teaching graphic design using Adobe Illustrator, Procreate 5X, and Adobe Photoshop. She also teaches photo-editing with Lightroom and Photoshop.
Helen has taught hundreds of thousands of students world wide and she is recognized as a skilled trainer who "knows her stuff" and who is able to communicate even highly technical and complex processes so they are easy to understand.
Apart from her technical expertise, one thing students frequently comment on is her lack of 'fluff' she doesn't waste time and she gets to the point quickly.