The Actuarial Profession: Basic Sciences and Principles
What you'll learn
- Define who is the Actuary
- Review of the historical dev. of the actuarial profession from its inception to the present
- Explain the principles and scientific concepts and ideas that underpin the actuarial studies
- Identify the differences between the principles and the rules of practice of the actuarial profession
- Understand the basic concepts and ideas underlying the actuarial studies
- Explain the standards and rules of practice of the actuarial profession depending on its development
- Basic knowledge of the principles of economics and mathematics
- Basic knowledge of the principles of accounting and financial studies
Review of the historical development of the actuarial profession from its inception to the present.
Explain the principles and scientific concepts and ideas that underpin the actuarial studies.
Differences between the principles and the rules of practice of the actuarial profession.
Basic concepts and ideas underlying the actuarial studies – Statistics, Probability, Demography, Mathematics, Economics, etc.
Explain the standards and rules of practice of the actuarial profession depending on its development.
Who this course is for:
- Insurance and social security employees
- Public, private, civil, and military funds employees
- General and life insurance company’s employees
- Banks and financial institutions and financial investments employees
- Students of economics and financial studies
- People interested in the principles and basic scientific concepts and ideas that underpin the actuarial studies
A Trainer and Management and Actuarial Consultant.
Expert in actuarial studies (pension, insurance and investment), feasibility/impact assessment/appraisals, technical/financial performance evaluation, actuarial/financial modelling and analysis, strategic planning/balanced scorecards & KPIs, cost estimation, budgeting/financing/capital structure, fund raising/borrowing capacity assessment, reform/restructuring for long term financial sustainability, training/coaching/capacity building.
• Holds a Bachelor degree of Engineering (1975) and short diploma in economic theory from the Economic Institute / University of Colorado - Boulder (1983) and Certified Cost Engineer from the American Association of Cost Engineers -AACE (1987).
• Worked in many positions in the engineering, technical, financial, and economic consulting and management of companies and government and private institutions in Kuwait, Jordan, and Tunisia. With a work experience that exceeds 40 years.
• Worked in many leadership and senior management positions (Assistant General Manager, director of departments and head of divisions).
• Worked in the governance of many major industrial, service and tourism companies in Jordan as Chairman of the Board of Directors and a member of the Board of Directors for many years.
• Currently working as a part-time consultant for engineering, financial and actuarial economics for governmental and major engineering services institutions in Jordan.
• With a training experience that exceeds 20 years, during which he delivered more than 3000 hours of classroom training to participants in Jordan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Malta, Tunisia, Iraq, Palestine, Yemen, Bahrain and Libya. His training covers the following areas:
• Marketing, technical, financial, economic, and social feasibility studies and business plans for industrial, commercial and service projects and infrastructure projects (water, roads, energy, electricity and ports).
• Financial analysis, computerized financial models, financial management, taxes, and depreciation
• Actuarial studies and models for social security systems, public and private pension funds, and insurance companies (life & general insurance).
• Strategic planning for public and private institutions and firms.
• Estimating the capital investment (CAPEX) and operational costs (OPEX) and life cycle costs (LCC) for different projects and businesses.
• General and specialized Train the Trainer courses
• Certified a trainer by the European Union (Med Ibticar), and accredited for training with several international organizations operating in Jordan and Iraq (UNDP, UN-HABITAT), American, European, German and Japanese organizations (JICA, USAID, GIZ) and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD).
Sole author of a book entitled” Analysis and Estimation of Investment Projects Costs”, and has published an article in an international scientific refereed journal, and many conference papers and technical reports in his field of work.
• Feasibility Study for Projects (Basics, general, project appraisal, specialised-energy, water & sanitation, electricity, development projects, fund raising, etc.)
• Evaluation of project social & Economic Impact.
• Preparation & development of business plans and implementation and performance evaluation for projects.
• Cost estimation and analysis for investment projects.
• Actuarial studies and reform plans for pension funds, social security schemes & insurance companies. (Basics of actuarial science and long term financial (actuarial) models & principles & preparation of actuarial studies, reform proposals, implementation and evaluation).
• Strategic planning( Basics of strategic plan preparation & balanced scored cards –BSC, Plan development, implementation and monitoring &evaluation of quarterly and yearly achievements).
• Financial management(Basics of FMS, Financial analysis & evaluation of performance, fund raising, financing , access to finance & financial modelling for various purposes)
• Budget preparation, Budgeting process assessment, budgeting as control tools, financial statements and concluding accounts.
• Training of Trainers (TOT)/ (TTT), general & specialized.
• Basic Supervisory skills & contract management (FIDIC), for supervisors engineers in water projects.
• Demand analysis, estimation & forecasting.
I. Papers in Reffreed Journals
• "Cost Effectiveness Analysis of Utilizing Flow Improver Additives for Crude Oil ", Microelectronics Reliability, Vol.25, No.6, 1985, pp. 1151-1156.
II. Reference Book
• Analysis and Estimation of Investment Projects Costs.Published in Arabic (1993).Aram Publishing House.Amman.
III. Papers in Conference Proceedings and Seminars
• " Investments of Public Pension Funds in the MENA Region: Jordan, Bahrain, Oman and Sudan", Presented at the Third Annual Public Pension Fund Management Conference, Washington, Sept. 20-22/2004. The World bank.
• "Reforms Related to Public Pension Governance and Management: Jordan and Sudan", Presented at the Third Annual Public Pension Fund Management Conference, Washington, Sept.20-22/2004. The World Bank.
• "Management of Pension Funds in Jordan : the Case of the Jordanian Social Security Corporation.", Presented at World Bank Workshop on Pension Management and Reform.June 9-13/2003. Malta.
• "The Public Pension System in Jordan: Main Challenges and Proposed Reform", presented at World Bank Workshop on Pension Fund Management and Reform.June 9-13,2003. Malta.
• "Plastic Fillers : Are They Cost Effective?", presented in the Sixth Annual Meeting of Francaise des Ingenierurs et Technciens De stimation,de planification et de Projets, and the Eleventh International Cost Engineering Congress, April 22-25, 1990. Paris –France.
• "Economic Potentials of Polyner Concrete", presented in the Annual Meeting of the American Association of Cost Engineers.San Diego,June 25-28. 1989. USA.
• "Feasibility of Reducing Seawater Desalination Cost by Reverse Osmosis", presented in the Annual Meeting of the American Association of Cost Engineers. New York,July10-13,1988. USA.
• “Investment of Social Security Funds : The Case of Jordan”. Presented in ISSA International Meeting of Social Security Actuaries & Statisticians,1995.The Czech Rebuplic.