Refresher course of Safety Management Systems
What you'll learn
- Overview of changes in ICAO Safety Management Manual ICAO doc 9859 edition 4
- Understand what a Safety Management System is and why we need it (in aviation).
- Understand how the Safety Management process works
- Understand what the elements are for a successful SMS
- Ask some critical questions about the SMS in their organisation and see if it works!
- Understand that SMS and Safety Management are not the same! How to use the SMS to increase safety performance.
- Learn about some new mental tools to look at safety issues in new ways.
- Some tips on the day to day organisation of SMS in your organisation
- Understand concepts of organisational safety and how to promote safety in your organisation.
- Basic aviation terminology is helpful, but not required. the course is focussed on aviation but the concepts are applicable to any industry..
I am in the process of updating the material in this course, it will deal with the edition 4 of ICAO doc 9859 Safety Management Manual.
Since this document is one of the most important references for aviation service providers and Civil Aviation Authorities, I wanted to add and update some chapters to reflect these changes.
This will add en extra hour of material at least.
I will raise the price of this course in a month or two, if you buy the course now, you will still have access to all the updated material.
You might be involved in Safety meetings and keep hearing about this "SMS", but it might be all a little vague.
This course helps professionals get a quick overview of "What is a Safety Management System?" and "How is Safety managed using the SMS".
This course will help you to evaluate how Safety is managed in your own organization and cut through the confusion about the many technical discussions around Safety Management Systems.
Added to the ICAO material I will also give examples from my personal experience as a consultant and trainer in aviation SMS implementation.
Who this course is for:
- Beginning Safety personnel who want a quick introduction into Safety Management concepts
- Operational managers who need an introduction or refresher on Safety Management Systems and Safety Performance
- This course might help managers or safety professionals who need to improve the safety performance of their organisation.
- Safety professionals who want to get a quick overview of changes in ICAO doc 9859 edition 4
Jan is an experienced safety risk management practitioner who ran Safety departments at small and medium airlines.
Since 2010 he has worked as a Safety Improvement consultant on world-wide projects in very diverse aviation organisations.
He offers clients comprehensive expertise across most areas of aviation safety management, with a focus on the development of effective risk management solutions and organizational safety performance.
He is a passionate trainer who has delivered numerous courses to all possible sectors of the aviation industry. He trained staff and management on topics covering;
Design and Implementation of SMS
Risk Management and Risk Assessment methods
Air Safety Reporting,
Flight Data Monitoring and
Emergency Response planning.
His knowledge of 6 European languages is a great asset to quickly establish meaningful communication during his consultancy projects in the various corners of the world.
Jan’s approach to SMS is very pragmatic. He improves safety performance by building bridges between safety practitioners and their management, enabling them to convert safety information into practical safety enhancing actions.