Acquire an American Accent
What you'll learn
- Clarify specific sounds that are challenging to you
- Demonstrate awareness of your individual speech patterns
- Identify carry-over qualities from your first language that impact your pronunciation of American English
- Students should speak English at a minimum of an intermediate level before taking this course. More fluent students will also benefit. Those born in the US with foreign-born parents may also benefit.
This American Accent course is an overview of some of the most common speech problems people not born in the US face when speaking American English.
- It offers specific examples and a targeted analysis of how English is spoken in the US as compared to how articulation might occur in other languages.
- Students learn to identify their own carry-over patterns from other languages that may impact their ability to be understood the first time when speaking in American English.
- Students also learn how to accelerate change so they can speak more clearly and effectively with less effort.
- Chinese, Indian, and European first language speakers as well Japanese, Korean, and Russian speakers learn what which vowels are most important to focus on.
- The course includes a vowel chart placement and a list of all 23 vowels in American English, with example words for reference, taken from Rebecca's personalized coaching program.
- Quizzes accompany each lesson to ensure the material is clear.
- Best practices, strategies and techniques to enact and sustain change are explored.
Who this course is for:
- This course is for people born outside the United States who speak English and would like to speak more clearly, effectively, and powerfully with less effort.
I am a passionate linguist and American Accent & Speech Coach in northern California's Silicon Valley (and have been for nearly 10 years.) In that time, I've met clients of many first languages including numerous Indian languages, Chinese, Japanese, French, German, Hungarian, Polish, Russian, Romanian, Indonesian, Arabic, and many more. Through those interactions (and hours of speech analysis), I have learned to help clients accelerate change in their speech in a sustainable and profound way. I look forward to sharing this knowledge and many techniques and strategies with non-native speakers of American English to wish to speak with more clarity and confidence. I'm the founder of EnglishbytheHour, offering coaching and group sessions to professionals and executives throughout the world.