Ace Your 104, Bareboat Cruising Written Sailing Exam
What you'll learn
- • Live the dream with this 104 Bareboat Cruising ground school. It is the third in a series of on-line e-learning courses patterned after the format of the American Sailing Association’s learn to sail programs.
- Be confident with this essential bareboat chartering knowledge -- anywhere in the world.
- Be prepared to get a 100% score on your 104 Bareboat Cruising knowledge exam
- Delve into Supplemental Content for an optional deeper understanding of any of several topics
- Be confident skipper, first mate or crew
- If you have taken 101 and 103 or equivalent, and want to expand your knowledge of cruising and seamanship, then this course is for you.
- Just show up with rudimentary sailing experience and curiosity and hunger for more sailing knowledge
Live the cruising life! This course is an essential step toward acquiring essential sailing knowledge. It contains over two hours of images and illustrations with narrations on the several subjects the cruiser needs to know to ace the 104 bareboat cruising exam.
Move toward self-sufficiency at sea with this knowledge of boat systems, auxiliary engine operation, coastal navigation and chart plotting, weather, seamanship tips, advanced anchoring and “good to know" knowledge to add to your lifelong learning.
Absorb essential cruising knowledge to skipper a cruising sailboat in on a multi-day voyage with competence and confidence.
Learn excellence in seamanship and first actions to take in a variety of distress situations.
Glean tips, opinions and commentary from the captain's personal experience.
Who this course is for:
- If you are new to sailing, begin at the beginning with our 101 and 103 basic ground schools.
- ASA divides sailing instruction into on-the-water instruction and sailing knowledge. This is an intermediate-level course comprising the knowledge portion of sailing, oriented around basic cruising. It complements on-the-water instruction.
- Take this course if you have passed the ASA 103 course and want to continue on to ASA 104 and prepare for bareboat chartering.
- Take this course if you are facing the ASA104 knowledge exam
- Take this course if you desire to be reliable and capable skipper, or first mate or crew
- Take this course if you are on a path to bareboat chartering or sailing any where in the world
Following undergraduate studies at Princeton University and a military tour of duty in the Pacific, Howard's three-part work career included (1) corporate staff positions with Hewlett Packard and Atlantic Richfield, (2) entrepreneur building four companies, and (3) management consultant and trainer in the field of organizational transformation and development. He has trained thousands of Fortune 1000 employees throughout North America and Asia in organizational change, leadership development and teamwork.
His sailing resume includes yacht deliveries, sailing instruction, captaining sailboat charters in the San Juan Islands (Washington) and Desolation Sound (Canada) between May and October and charter captain and instructor in Florida and the Caribbean between November and April. In his spare time he writes about boating and seamanship.
He has sailed U.S. East Coast ports from Halifax Nova Scotia to Key West, Florida; the Florida Gulf Coast; and U.S. West Coast from Alaska and Canada to Mexico. He has enjoyed sailing yachts in Florida, the Bahamas, Bermuda, B.V.I's, St. Vincent & The Grenadines, Puget Sound, Gulf Islands and Desolation Sound (Canada), British Columbia, Alaska and the Sea of Cortez, Cuba and west coast of Mexico. He has held the position of navigator in several long distance sailing races. Additionally he completed a six month solo voyage with his golden retriever. And is recently returned from one year of cruising Mexico and sailing the "Pacific Puddle" to Tahiti.
Howard holds U.S. Merchant Marine Officer license #1155804, for motor and sail vessels up to 100-gross tons. He holds his instructor's and commercial pilot's license. He is an American Sailing Association instructor, certified in Basic Keelboat (101) through Advanced Coastal Cruising (106).
My passion for the sea and commitment to share skills and knowledge are boundless. Few things give me more pleasure than to travel beside you on your journey to build your sailing confidence and expand your sailing knowledge and take essential steps to living your dream.