Ace Your 101, Basic Keelboat Written Sailing Exam
- 3 hours on-demand video
- 4 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Feel confident in your readiness to ace the 101 Basic Keelboat sailing knowledge exam
- Have the foundation of basic sailing concepts and terms you need to know for on-the-water sailing
- Be confident and knowledgeable crew
- Learn on-the-water sailing faster and saill with more familiarity
- Delve into Supplemental Content for an optional deeper understanding of any of several topics
- If you are new to sailing, and if you want foundational sailing knowledge, such as points of sail and terminology, "Rules of the Road, etc. then this course is for you.
- There is no recommended preparation and no book to read. Just organize your time to listen and watch, and to enjoy and learn.
So you are new to sailing and you don't know what you don't know. What are 'points of sail', or 'stand-on vessel' or 'leeward' (pronounced lew-ard)? This is a good place to start!
Are you facing the prospect of taking the 101 Basic Keelboat Sailing written test? After completing this course you will be able to pass the exam with flying colors.
Additionally, you will have the knowledge that will bring you to a whole new level of understanding sailing: terminology that will become automatic, and concepts that make sense of your on-the-water experience.
- Learn sailing basics – and be safe on the water
- Ace your written knowledge exam – without test anxiety
- Accelerate your learning – fast, easy and more efficient than reading
This course is patterned after the format of the American Sailing Association's learn to sail programs. It does not take the place of an ASA instructor or on-the-water practice and experience. However it contains a body of essential knowledge to advance your skills and seamanship.
This course is over two hours of content – utilizing over 250 colorful pictures, graphics, narrations and tips to add to your experience of having “been there done that" (before you ever face the situation on the water for the first time). The content is divided into six modules: Poiints of Sail; Terminology (SailorSpeak); Rules of the Road; Basic Navigation; Knots to Know; and Required/Good to Know. Supplemental content covers several topics in detail… all essential foundational knowledge to keep you safe in a sailboat during day in light to moderate sea conditions and winds.
- ASA divides sailing instruction into on-the-water instruction and sailing knowledge. This course is the knowledge portion of sailing and complements on-the-water instruction.
- It does impart basic sailing knowledge and prepare you to get a grade of 100% on the 101 sailing knowledge written exam
- Take this course as a preview prior to 101 on-the-water instruction
- Take this course as a review prior to the 101 basic keelboat written exam
- Take this course if you are learning sailing from a friend, or even teaching yourself
- Take this course if you aspire to be reliable and capable crew
- Take this course if you are planning to challenge the ASA 101 exam (option to experienced sailors)
Section One Lecture 1: This six minute orientation and introduction gives you a course overview so you can decide whether or not this course is for you. It also includes a short video introduction by the author/narrator, Captain Howard Edson, plus supplemental content, and tips, opinions and stories from the author's sailing and teaching experience that bring the course alive. The knowledge you need to get a grade of 100% (or at least high honors) is embedded in the content of this course.
Section Two Lecture 2: This is the first of three lectures in Section 2 on the essence of sailing. It introduces to you to new nomenclature, or "SailorSpeak", and to a new relationship with the wind.