Ableton Live Zero to Hero: Write your first track in 5 steps
What you'll learn
- You will learn the must-have essentials of Ableton Live, without going into too much detail which is the best practice for beginners
- You will write your first song in Ableton Live, even if you never wrote any music before
- Create bass line, chords, drumbeats (techno, hip-hop and trap), arrange and export your song to MP3 or WAV
- You will get an overview of Arrangement and Session views in Ableton Live 10
- If you do have some experience with Ableton Live, you'll learn a creative workflow to arrange the existing ideas
- Free bonus: basic drumbeat cheat sheet with different styles of music for you to copy, you can find it in the Assessment section
- A working laptop or PC
- Music software Ableton Live 10 (you can download a 3-months free trial on Ableton’s official website)
- Optionally, headphones – you will get a better sound and also won’t annoy your neighbours
Ever thought of writing electronic music in Ableton Live but didn’t know where to start? Or maybe found this software too complex? We created this Ableton Zero to Hero course specifically for complete beginners like you as a gentle introduction to Ableton Live. Even though we call it gentle, it gives all essentials to kickstart your music production journey. Skip the boring stuff such as music theory and start writing your music straight away!
The course is created by Craig Lowe, a Music Technology lecturer at universities across London. Using his experience and students' feedback, he created an easy to follow, entry-level course for Ableton Live that consists of 5 steps:
Step 1: You’ll get an overview of Ableton Live 10 (views, clips, channels and instruments)
Step 2: You’ll create a drumbeat in different styles of music (basic, techno, house, trap, hip hop)
Step 3: You’ll learn chord sequences and create your own
Step 4: You’ll create a bassline
Step 5: And finally, you’ll arrange your song and export it as an MP3 or WAV.
Bonus: Free drumbeat cheatsheet PDF included in the course.
UPDATE: On January 2021 we added assignments so now you can post your work and get detailed feedback from Craig. Feel free to ask him any questions about Ableton. See you on the course!
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who wants to write music in Ableton Live, but doesn't know where to start or is overwhelmed by the complexity of this software
- Anyone who wants to try music writing for fun and creative expression
- Professional musicians with existing ideas who want to start writing music in Ableton Live or refresh their knowledge
The school was founded during the first lockdown in 2020 by Craig Lowe who works as a Music Technology teacher at universities across London, produces music for various artists and writes his own techno-inspired dance electronic music, and his wife Ksenia who's a pro in marketing and design.
Your tutor Craig Lowe
"I’ve been teaching Ableton Live in universities across London over the last 5 years. Last year, I decided to create my own school with high-quality fun courses that are available to everyone. Especially now, when so many people have switched to online education.
I also have over a decade of experience as a session musician. My biggest achievement? I’ve created an Ableton Live set for a Russian artist Zemfira and performed it on her 30k+ shows in Moscow, London and New York."
So... just one course?
No, we are working on more courses, including the follow-up course in Ableton Live, an entry course in Logic Pro and songwriting for beginners. Our goal is to create 5 engaging courses in music production at the highest quality, by the end of the year. Let's keep in touch!
Craig and Ksenia, Push Patterns