A Stylish Introduction to Buttercream Cake Decorating
What you'll learn
- Make Swiss Meringue Buttercream from scratch.
- Create custom cake boards to match any cake.
- Level, torte, fill, crumb coat, and smooth finish buttercream cakes.
- Work with gel colors and color dusts.
- Prepare piping bags.
- Pipe rosettes and ruffles.
- Create cake designs with a metal cake spatula.
- Painting on buttercream.
- Applying watercolor and ombre color techniques.
- Build a stable two-tiered cake great for any occasion!
- No prior cake decorating experience required.
- Basic cake decorating supplies and equipment will be needed. A list of resources is included in the course.
- Plain baked cakes of student's choice in size and flavor. You can take my other course if you are new to baking as well!
I learned cake decorating years ago using only buttercream and I feel it's still relevant to learn that way.
Every event, activity, celebration, or day could use a cake. Why? Because, they make people happy. If you want to get on board with making the lives of others just a little bit brighter, then join me in this comprehensive beginner cake decorating course.
You will learn all of the fundamentals from start to finish of decorating two-tier cakes with a simple Swiss Meringue Buttercream.
I will walk you through:
- Preparing Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Creating custom cake boards.
- Carving, filling, and frosting a cake smooth with sharp edges.
- Simple spatula design techniques.
- Working with gel colors to create a watercolor and ombre effect.
- Preparing piping bags with no mess or fuss.
- Piping rosettes, ruffles, and discussing how to create patterns with piped decorations.
- Painting on buttercream with gel colors and luster dust.
- Using wooden dowels properly to stack sturdy cakes.
The beauty of learning these techniques is that you can use them to create many different designs for birthdays, baby showers, graduations, weddings, or just because!
This course includes resources that you can download and print. There is a handy recipe print out so that you can make buttercream from scratch in your own kitchen. Also included is a list of equipment and resources for where to find and purchase supplies. You will be able to ask questions and receive personalized support should you hit any bumps in the road along the way!
Whether you want to start cake decorating as a hobby or you hope to turn it into a career, this beginner course has all of the basics you need to build a solid foundation. I hope to see you in the course!
Who this course is for:
- Students who are comfortable baking cakes as this course only covers decorating.
- Complete beginners who are looking into hobby decorating or want to start a career.
- Cake decorating career seekers who need to build up their buttercream skills.
- Bakery business owners looking to expand menus or help train staff.
Food is the thing that connects us all. From the people who painstakingly grow our food to the hard workers that prepare the food to the billions of people that consume it. Whether we realize it or not, aside from all of our differences, it's what makes us all the same in some way. We need it for survival, use it for an income, and love it for all of it's nourishment and joy, Making food for other people has always been, and will always be, a great passion and source of fulfillment for me. I love what it represents in its entirety and I also love the simple fact that I can make someone smile just by handing them a slice of cake.
I’m a professional kitchen veteran turned enthusiastic teacher. After 15 years of hard work in restaurants and bakeries, I pursued my passion for education.
With no knowledge about cameras or video editing, I embarked on a 3 year journey to build an online business that has served over 30,000 students worldwide.
Along with my career change came major lifestyle changes and an increased awareness for global impact. What started out as a few online courses in baking and pastry has now grown into more earth friendly baking tutorials that are accessible to an even greater number of students.
My goal is to offer an accessible pastry education that is framed around the ethics of equality and sustainability.