A Sip of Java
What you'll learn
- Java language basics
- Beginner programming concepts and terminology
- The ability to make your own programs
- Simple user interface computer applications
- Be able to write data to and from an external file
- Prompt users for input via a computer program
- Math operators in Java
- Conditional statements in Java
- Classes and functions
- Have a computer powerful enough to run Java 11. Windows 7, 8, and 10 can run this version. MacOS 10.11 or higher with also work.
- Be comfortable downloading and installing software.
- Basic computer literacy. Tasks like saving and manipulating files, navigating around the computer, and operating a browser are expected.
A Sip of Java is for those who are interested in learning the basics of Java without all the extra details. This course aims to be the quickest way for a student to go from knowing nothing or very little about Java and programming to writing their own applications. In this course students will learn how to:
Setup their computer to write and run Java applications
Write console apps that can respond to user input
Learn Java language basics - types, variables, conditions, loops, operators, functions, classes, etc.
Read and write data to external files
Create their own GUI (Graphical User Interface) applications
Start their path to becoming an accomplished programmer
Learning how to program with Java is a great skill to have. This course is designed to be the fastest way to understand core concepts of Java.
Who this course is for:
- Beginner Java developers looking to learn more about the basics of the language
- Students interested in learning how to program
- Someone who is looking for a starting point in their journey to become a computer programmer
In todays age everyone must become a life long learner in order to keep up with changing technology and market needs. I am excited to be part of the Udemy community to be able to both learn and teach.
My background is in programming. I have worked for nearly a decade as both an employee and a consultant for many different companies in order to build software systems to solve real world problems. Everyday is a new opportunity to learn more about computers and how they can be applied to make the world a better place.
Software engineering has been a fantastic professional adventure. I hope to share my learnings with the Udemy community.
Derrick is a lifelong learner with a passion for making bland things beautiful.
He has spent his entire career in the creative arts and marketing sector. He had the opportunity to work with brands such as MTV, Nintendo, and Netflix while employed as an intern for Seven 2 Interactive, which definitely set the trajectory for his design career. in 2008, he and his wife opened a small graphic design and marketing agency in Montana - they spent the next decade creating websites, logos, and more for clients all over the world.
Derrick has been the creative director for major international brands and recently made a career pivot to include online teaching. He loves helping students realize their full potential while turning their interests and passions into strong skillsets and careers. From hand-illustrating logos to creating websites for global brands, Derrick knows what it takes to succeed as a graphic designer, a freelancer, and a business owner.
He is passionate about helping others find success doing what they love and he currently teaches over 130,000 students online on several different platforms. From Photoshop to Illustrator to InDesign - if it revolves around graphic design, Derrick is excited about teaching it to others.
Derrick lives in Montana with his wife, his four daughters, his son, and the family's two dogs. When he has a free moment, he enjoys paddleboarding, mountain biking, and snowboarding. In his spare time, he also enjoys making GoPro videos with his kids and finding ways to continue to evolve his craft as a designer and artist.