A Simple Framework for Designing IoT Products
This is the second course in the PTC IoT Series. It focuses on describing a simple framework for designing IoT products. In particular, we will provide you with a basic understanding of how IoT products are designed and describe the associated implications for business strategy and product development. By the end of the course you will use this design process to create a new IoT business concept.
The course in intended to be completed within 3-4 hours. We include academic research, industry case studies, and incorporate eLearning best practices in order to provide you with an engaging and worthwhile learning experience.
If you want to get a basic understanding of how Internet of Things products are created without jumping into detailed R&D this course if for you. This course has been tested with hundreds of people ranging from students to industry executives.
Who this course is for:
- This IoT course is designed for people who want to learn a simple design strategy for designing IoT products
- This course is especially pertinent to business decision makers, designers, product developers, information technologists, and other learners in the technology innovation space
- 01:58Course Overview
- 00:14Course Materials
- 00:08Smart Connected Drones
- 06:46Lecture 2: What is a design framework for creating IoT Products?
- 05:01Lecture 7: IoT Design Challenges
- 06:08Lecture 8: IoT Design Opportunities
- 06:18Lecture 4: Augmented Reality use case
- 04:21Lecture 5: Smart Bike Use Case
- 01:33Lecture 8: Project Directions
- 4 pagesWarm up activity
- 10 questionsCheck your knowledge
- 00:02Submit project
- 00:11Certificate of Completion
- 00:16Next Steps
My work focuses on merging research, design and business in education settings. A good chunk of my experience has been working with K-12 and college students as a teacher, researcher, trainer, and designer. Recently my work has expanded to include product development and education for industry with a big focus on the Internet of Things.
As an instructional designer and educator, I’ve worked in education and product development for the past 9 years and am excited to bring the two worlds together to empower student and teacher innovation. My current work focuses on designing and developing both classroom and online learning experiences to help learners of all ages be more informed, active participants in the world of IoT.
I have spent the last 30 years working in industry and academe as a mechanical engineer and professor. I specialize in product development, engineering design & analysis. But my passion is teaching. Having taught in the university setting for 25 years I now create educational programs and instructional experiences for industry and education.