A Practical Introduction to the BACnet Protocol
What you'll learn
- Acquire an appreciation for the creation of the BACnet protocol
- Understand the concept of Devices, Objects and Properties within BACnet
- Understand the data is transferred on BACnet MS/TP and BACnet/IP networks
- Simulate a BACnet/IP network on a single computer using Simulation applications
- Simulate the reading of BACnet data via Change-Of-Value
- Simulate the setting of BACnet properties via Service Requests
- Understand the concept of BACnet Services
- Connect to a physical BACnet MS/TP device from a PC running a BACnet explorer application
- Read data from and write data to a physical BACnet MS/TP device
- Working knowledge of the process control devices in a typical Process Automation or SCADA system
- Basic working knowledge of the Modbus RTU protocol.
- Basic understanding of binary systems and computer memory
BACnet stands for "Building Automation and Control Network".
With the issue of energy conservation on the rapid rise around the world, thousands of buildings have monitoring systems in place to measure and maximize energy efficiency. This is done by the effective centralized monitoring and control of systems like Lighting, Security, Air-Conditioning, Heating, and so much more.
The BACnet protocol is used heavily to interconnect that type of equipment in buildings so that energy efficiency goals can be achieved. Thousands of buildings in the US, Europe and around the world use BACnet.
You should get to know this protocol as it will allow you to expand your expertise and opportunities in the field of Building Automation.
There is quite a bit of info on BACnet available on the Internet, but not much showing BACnet communications in a very practical way. And that's what I am going to do in the course.
At the end of my course, you are not only going to understand the BACnet theory but I am going to show you how to use BACnet hardware and software in my usual practical approach.
Who this course is for:
- Electrical Engineers
- Electrical Technicians
- Electrical Tech or Engineering Students
- Process Control Technicians and Engineers
- Process Automation Engineers
- Programmers working in the Process Automation field
I have been working in the fields of Software Development, Software Systems Integration and Process Automation since 1996. In 2003, I stepped out on my own and started working for myself providing software development and systems integration services to small and medium businesses.
I am also associated with a great company called Mora Systems Limited that under the leadership of it's Managing Director has produced innovative and outstanding products and services in the fields of GIS and Cellular based SCADA.
Teaching has always been a passion for me. I have taught at the tertiary level for many years on the subjects of programming, control systems as well as systems integration. In the last few years I found myself incorporating more and more videos into the curriculum with amazing results.
When I heard of uDemy I just could not help but sign up. With teaching in a classroom, you can reach only so many students, but with uDemy you can reach the world! I plan to publish and promote as many courses as I possibly can on the uDemy platform.