A Practical Approach to FIDIC Contracts
What you'll learn
- A good understanding of the FIDIC Philosophy
- Parties and Role Players
- Signatories and Parties to the Contract: The Employer, The Engineer and The Contractor
- Selecting the appropriate contract
- The responsibilities of the main Parties
- The Management of Projects
- Plant, materials and workmanship
- Commencement, delay and suspension
- Tests, defects and defects liability
- Nominated Subcontractors
- Financial Procedures
- Payments: Interim and Final Payment
- Suspension and Termination
- The Employer's right to terminate the Contract
- The Contractor's right to terminate the Contract
- Risk, Liability and Force Majeure
- Claims, Disputes and Arbitration
- The role of the Dispute Adjudication Board
- Amicable Settlement
- A basic understanding of construction contracts is an advantage
FIDIC contracts are being increasingly used by the international Construction Industry throughout the World. The Multi-Lateral Development Banks, including the World Bank, Inter -American Development Bank & Caribbean Development Bank have adopted the FIDIC Conditions of Contract.
The interactive course is based on the FIDIC Approved Module 1 Workshop and introduces the FIDIC Suite of Contracts, with special emphasis on the FIDIC Red and Yellow Book.
It examines the roles of both the Employer and the Engineer and highlights the essential differences between the various contract documents. The responsibility for design is dealt with and a substantial amount of time is devoted to the issue of extensions of time, variations and certification.
Dispute resolution under the FIDIC Contracts is Emphasised and the issues of notices, claims and time bars are discussed in detail. This practical course is supplemented by true life case studies and group discussions ensure that delegates come away with a good understanding of the FIDIC philosophy.
Delegates will be provided with a sound understanding on the practical use of the FIDIC Construction (Red Book) & Design-Build (Yellow Book) Contracts. The procedures and application of the Contract clauses are explored quizzes and cases studies are utilised throughout the training. Delegates will be much more confident in using these complex Contracts after completing the course.
Who this course is for:
- Engineers, quantity surveyors, lawyers, project managers, funding agents, such a Development Banks will benefit enormously.
Kevin is registered Professional Engineer, Mediator, Adjudicator and Arbitrator with over 40 years' experience in the Construction Industry. His experience spans across Freeway Construction, Airport Runway Rehabilitation, Dams and Water Retaining Structures, Asphalt and Concrete Road Surfacing and most recently Claims Preparation and Defence.
Throughout Kevin's professional career he has managed various business units of one of the largest construction companies in South Africa, owned a Road Surfacing Company which was later sold to a listed company before moving into dispute resolution and claims consulting.
Kevin completed the Fellowship of Arbitrators Qualification and currently specialises large scale Construction Claims and Dispute Resolution. Over the past 10 years, he has been involved as Mediator Adjudicator, Arbitrator and expert witness on numerous matters. He is presently appointed on Dispute Boards across Africa.
He is considered an expert on the FIDIC Suite of Contracts Documents and is the only FIDIC Accredited Trainer in South Africa and Admitted Adjudicator to the FIDIC Presidents List.