A beginner's guide to Narrative Therapy online course 2021
What you'll learn
- What is Narrative Therapy, how does it work, and how does it differ from mainstream Modernistic psychology?
- How do I help the story-teller / client to structure their story and thoughts so I can follow their story and understand where what fits in
- What is Meaning Making, and how does it affect how people think?
- Maps to follow in the process of deconstructing the problem story, and re-authoring the alternative or preferred story
- Practical examples of Narrative Therapy applied on real stories
- Lots of assignments where you will be applying what you've learnt on your own story
- Having some background in counselling, life coaching, or psychology will be beneficial, but isn't necessary.
Essential to all of our lives, are communication skills, asking good questions, understand people and make meaning of each other's stories, ideas and actions. Whether you're looking to improve your own understanding of self and others, or whether you're a Counsellor in practice wanting to add counselling skills to your toolbox, this course is for you.
By the end of this course, you, the man or woman in any field of work who wants to mature and improve your own self-awareness, emotional intelligence and people skills, will learn to understand people better in the context of their own values, stories, trauma, strengths and weaknesses, in order to communicate better, ask better questions, build healthier relationships, handle conflict better, and in general become a deeper and more understanding person, accepting of others and their differences.
And you, the Counsellor in practice, you will learn crucial tools to externalize the problem and separate it from the client's identity, map the problem's history, effects and influence, and listen for the alternative story of strength amidst their problem-saturated story. This is a scientific based method of counselling based on positive psychological principals, where the owner of the story is the expert of the story, and meaning making is honored without making diagnosis or adding labels to ourselves or to others, acknowledging that there is no cookie cutter treatment for everyone, but that the individual's story is unique and the meaning they make of their story is as unique as their fingerprint. Help your client take agency, and find strength in the hidden nuggets of gold hidden in the nooks and crannies of the problem saturated story.
There is a Narrative Therapist in you who wants to come out and explore people. This is the only Narrative Therapy online course on Udemy right now.
Who this course is for:
- Beginners - Intermediate level
- Whether you want to learn about Narrative Therapy for self-enrichment / self-development, or for use in your Counselling Practice, this course is for you!
- Those who want to grow their emotional intelligence, people skills, self-awareness and awareness of others.
- Seasoned Counsellors in practice will benefit from this course.
Sunet, who has her own story of trauma and personal experience of its effects, has been working as a Narrative Therapist in South Africa after finishing her degree in Social Sciences, and later finishing her studies in Narrative Therapy Cum Laude and working under the supervision of very experienced Narrative Therapists.
She has been trained in cross-cultural dynamics in Hungary, and has lived in al 3 the mainstream cultures of the world. She has been an expat, learnt a foreign language and gone through culture shock and the whole immigration process herself.
Her passion for cross-cultural communication and Narrative Therapy will soon become her Masters thesis...so watch this space for more courses coming up!