A beginner's guide to creating artwork for 2D video games
- You don't need any previous experience, and you don't need sophisticated art skills. All you need is a computer and a mouse. The software is free to use online.
Hello and welcome to a beginner's guide to creating artwork for 2D video games. My name is Pete Jepson and I am a game design teacher. I have taught this subject for over four years. I have put together this series to show you how easy it is to make 2D artwork. It's based on sprites and characters I made for a 2D platform game.
You don't need any previous experience, and you don't need sophisticated art skills. All you need is a computer and a mouse. The software is free to use online.
In this series we will create a range of 2D art including both static and animated graphics, as well as character sprite sheets and tile sets. By the end of this series you will have a complete range of artwork to be able to create your own video game as well as the skills to continue to create your own graphics.
I hope you enjoy this series. If you have any questions or comments post them in the Q & A section and I will get back to you as quickly as I can.
Who this course is for:
- Beginners who have little or no experience creating graphics for video games. This is also useful for people who know how to make games but find it difficult to create the artwork.
- 00:27About this section
- 00:04My Website
- 00:50Introduction to the course
- 00:43Standard sprite sizes for our game
- 05:53Introduction to the software
I am a qualified teacher and I have been teaching game design for over 6 years. I have been using Unity since 2013 and I have produced a series of courses showing people how to create games and animations using this game engine.
With over 32,000 students from over 157 Countries around the world, my courses are helping people learn and create at the same time.
I am completely dedicated to helping you on your learning journey. If you have any questions or require any help I am always available and will respond quickly.