50 English Phrases, Idioms, and Expressions for ESL Students
- You should already be able to read and understand English at least at the pre-intermediate level
Do you want to learn the informal expressions that native English speakers use in everyday life? This course will teach you 50 idioms and phrases, with clear and easy-to-understand explanations and examples.
The English language has a lot of idiomatic expressions - phrases whose meanings are not obvious from the individual words - such as think outside the box (think creatively) or let the cat out of the bag (reveal a secret).
These expressions can be confusing to English as a Second Language learners, making it harder to understand movies, TV shows, and native speakers' informal conversations.
In this free course, you'll learn 50 idioms & expressions quickly and easily. Each short video explains the phrases and gives examples, and you can check the transcript in order to understand every word!
- Intermediate to advanced-level English learners
- Students interested in informal spoken English
- Could I have a word with you? / Do you have a moment?03:06
- Make yourself at home / Help yourself / Suit Yourself03:07
- Having second thoughts / On second thought...02:55
- I give you my word / I'll take your word for it02:36
- Out of shape / In bad or good shape03:20
- Have the time of your life / Have a blast / Have a good time02:01
- On the right/wrong track / Get back on track03:03
- I have no clue / Totally clueless02:16
- It's a long story / Long story short02:55
- Practice and review the phrases10 questions
- Set the record straight / Have a great track record02:45
- Get a head start / Get the ball rolling02:38
- Look on the bright side / A blessing in disguise02:24
- Out of the blue / Out of nowhere02:00
- Play it by ear / Play it safe02:48
- Put your foot down / The last straw02:29
- In over my head / Bite off more than you can chew01:50
- A game plan / Ahead of the game01:32
- Off the beaten path / In the middle of nowhere02:17
- Practice and review the idioms10 questions
- Keep an eye on / Keep an eye out for02:27
- I couldn't care less / Who cares?02:09
- Have your heart set on something01:14
- Get it over with / Get over it02:08
- Steer clear of something01:50
- Have (got) what it takes02:35
- It's none of your business / Mind your own business02:02
- Deep down / A deep, dark secret01:48
- It's an acquired taste / It grew on me02:05
- Last resort / See the last of something02:05
- Practice and review the expressions10 questions
Shayna is originally from the United States, and she currently lives in Brazil, where she works as an English teacher and translator.
She has a CELTA certification to teach English to adults and several years of teaching experience in both group and private classes. Shayna also runs a popular English-learning website for ESL students.