"30 Second" nutrition label Breakdown
- An interest in nutrition literacy!
Behind every great food, every nutrition supplement and every restaurant drink list, there rests a food facts label.
Also known as the Nutrition Facts Label, this is basic info about the food we eat daily, incorporated, into American food packages, since 1994.
And since 1994, this information is standard practice in food processing/packaging.
If you are like many of my clients, these labels look to you like hieroglyphs.
These arcane labels is confusing:
Serving sizes are almost never ONE; the scientific names on the bottom look like Esperanto; key elements like oils and empty calories are rarely if ever in plain sight.
Typically, I get asked three main questions about foods and oils, powders and pills that folks bring to me weekly:
When should I take this?
How much should I take?
Is it safe?
I’ll spin the package around, ignoring the front-side in favor of delicious science and the empirical evidence splayed on the reserve side, often never seen by consumers (it never lies)
In 30 seconds, I will know exactly what food they’re eating and why.
It is a skill I have learned from being a nutritionist and athlete over time.
Anyone can learn.
- Health minded folks
- Athletes & active men & women
- Real use of Food Labels02:03
- Meet Coach Johann, CSCS01:10
- Intro | Breakdown a Label in ~30 Seconds01:48
- Packaged vs. Unpackaged Foods02:56
- Whole foods and boxed foods02:04
- Intro: the 3 parts & supplement label Differences01:41
- #1 Serving Size01:33
- #2 Macros & Micros03:12
- Macros & Micros (part 2)01:21
- #3 Ingredients03:18
- Supplement Labels are Different02:18
- 6 Points of every Label00:36
- #1 Serving Size (3 seconds) | Donut Hole Breakdown04:04
- #2 COMPLEX carbs are Hidden (10 seconds)02:12
- COMPLEX carbs... (part #2)00:53
- #3 Hi-protein or low-protein (5 seconds)02:07
- #4 Fats and Hidden Calories (5 seconds)02:26
- #5 Hidden Ingredients (7+ seconds)01:48
- #6 Case for Extra Sugar02:32
- Wrapping Up!00:45
Thanks for visiting! I hope you find value in my course and I promise to release more in the future!
In 17 years, Johann has run a nutrition store, trained professional and hi-level amateur fighters like San Jose’s Chris “the Warrior” Washington, other future professional and junior Olympic competitors, CFO’s, registered nurses, accountants, vegans, pH.D’s, project managers, underweight folks, overweight folks, tradesmen, and elementary teachers (his most dutiful contingent) representing all of the Bay Area’s mega-diverse cultures and population.